-7- Run

Driving

Driving. He keeps on driving on the longest road it feels like forever.
"Cam?" I ask nervously and he grunts in response.
"What's a mafia?" He shoots a quick look at me.
"Well uhm its kind of like a group of very bad people who do very bad things. Why do you ask?" He looks panicked.
"It's nothing."
"Are you going to tell me where you went yet?"
I shake my head looking over at Cameron. He's been my best friend forever, basically my brother. We were both only the children in our families and neighbours to each other so we would play together heaps in the woods behind our houses. He is so gorgeous I'm shocked he doesn't have a girlfriend yet.

I stare at him as he's focused on the road ahead his very few tattoos on his arm showing due to his short sleeved shirt straining against his muscles. We decided it was best to go on a road trip back home to see my parents. It's safer over there. No gangs and more importantly no Ace.

Lost in my thoughts I still can't stop thinking about Ace and the way his green eyes pierced into mine. He's in the past now, I'll never have to see him again... hopefully.

***

"We missed you so much!" My mother says kissing both my cheeks and then my father does the same, well he would of if he was here.
My father is never home, always out on business trips, always doing some thing that requires him to be anywhere other then home. I really miss him sometimes but mostly it's just hating him for never being around. Not even when mum fell sick.

All the emotions come back to me and I squeeze her in the biggest hug remembering what she went through and my dickhead father didn't even visit her in the hospital, not once!

I haven't seen or spoken to him properly since I was about 4 I think. He probably has another family somewhere in a different state, but he still helps mum out with money from time to time.

"Is everything ok Rose?" My mum looks at me concern plastered all over her face.
"Oh, yeah. Sorry, I'm just tired long drive here you know."
"Why don't we go have a rest Rose?" Cameron suggests leading us upstairs to my old bedroom, we snuggle into my cozy double bed cuddling like we did when we were kids.

"Do you ever miss them?" I ask
"Oh yeah, of corse all the time, every second of everyday. I just wish it would've been different."
A few years ago Cameron lost both his parents too a really bad pile up between some trucks and all, it was truely awful. Ever since Cameron had basically lived with me. I cuddle up to him even more feeling safe and protected being in his arms.

***

I wake up alone. Although not in my bedroom, I'm back at Aces place. Shit not again. I get up and try to get out though the door, but this time there isn't one. I'm surrounded by big black curtains. Not even the bathroom is there.
Well that's great now I'm going to piss myself smart thinking Ace!

I hear a door shut and suddenly Ace is behind me, only there's something different about him. Another door. I turn towards the noice, there's no door but Ace is now over there I turn back and now see two Ace's slowly approaching me.

The bottom of the curtains catch fire and suddenly there's Aces surrounding me I yell for help. Someone? Anyone?

***

I jolt awake but am held down by a strong pair of arms no no no not Ace please anyone but Ace.
"Hey! It was just a nightmare, you're safe" Cameron. Thank god.
"Sorry"
"It's alright we all have nightmares every now and then. You wanna talk about it?" I shake my head relaxing it back into the crook of his neck, he always smells so nice.

"Do you kids want breakfast or what?" I hear mum yell up the stairs.
"Come on." Cameron gets up along with me all as we head down stairs where we are wafted with the smell of an amazing breakfast which she made us.
"Looks great Carol."
"Thank you mum"
We dig in to a feast of bacon, eggs, pancakes, fruit salad and everything in between, my mum is the greatest.
"So what's been going on in your lives, catch me up hm?"
"Well Rose randomly decided to dis-"
"Disssssed him really bad on the way here didn't I Cam?" I say though gritted teeth elbowing him
"Yeah, real good one." He caught on
"What did you say?"
"Works been really busy, hey? I change the subject smoothly.
"Oh yeah, so busy. What's with all the suits too?"
"Business men like to dress up I guess."
"Anyway" mum cuts in "I got you two tickets to your favourite place in just a few hours"
I feel my face light up
"The adventure park near where nan used to live?!" She nods
"Why don't you go get ready, I'll clean up"
"You're the best mum!" I kiss her cheek. Cam and I used to go there every holidays it was our most favourite place on earth.

***

"Was it just me or was that kind of shit?" Cameron asks as we walk home.
"Glad I'm not the only one. I guess it's only 'the happiest place on earth' for 7 year olds..."

Remember when we went on the twister like 20 times in a row and you threw up in that dumpster" we both burst out laughing
"Don't remind me, geez what a day"
"Hey at least I won you that massive panda"
"What ever happened to that??"

Both off in our own thoughts I see a man in a suit ahead of us walking in our direction, his frame strikingly familiar. I quickly grab Cameron and guide us down an alley way hoping the man didn't see me.

The alley way is filthy there's broken glass everywhere.

Broken glass.

The drunk man.

Wait. There was no gangs. "He lied! I was drugged!"
"Rose? What are you talking about?"
"I remember! There was this guy throwing beer bottles at me, that explains my head, he drugged me. I was raped and then he kidnapped me! THAT FUCKING LIAR!Im gonna kick his ass!"
"You were what?! Rose? Why didn't you tell me?"
"I only just remembered"
"Who's lying to you, who did that too you Rose?"
"I don't know, I don't know, he was- the guy in the suit!" I look behind us, there's nothing.
"Cameron we need to get home. Now"
"We are almost there. What's going on?"
"Bad people, they are here. We need to go." Grabbing his wrist I start running home in fear of the suited men. I'm fear that they will be back. Nothing will stop Ace Romano. He's after me.