Chapter forty-two

Sophie woke up to Elwin shoving a bunch of elixirs down her throat.

"What happened?" She mumble. Her mouth felt gross and she remembered barfing all over her self. Sophie looked down at her soiled pants. Ew.

"I could ask you the same thing," Elwin told her, bringing out his trusty X-ray.

"I just ate too many sweets." It wasn't entirely a lie, but she didn't want to explain the anxiety attack and her feeling of impending death. And she did probably throw up from the eight cupcakes she had eaten.

"Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah, just a headache."

"Okay, how about you get changed and I'll introduce you to Livvy."

Who was Livvy?

Sophie stood and picked out a pair of black leggings and a green crew neck. She changed in the bathroom, trying to gag from the smell of her pants.

She brushed her teeth to get rid of the gross taste in her mouth. When she was done, Sophie walked out of the bathroom to see a woman standing in her room.

She was African-American with hundreds of black braids flowing down her back. Her eyes were a striking bright blue, reminding Sophie of the sky.

"Hi, I'm Livvy," the beautiful woman said, offering a friendly wave.

"Hi," Sophie returned the gesture shyly.

"Livvy is going to help me with your...situation," Elwin told her.

Livvy motioned for Sophie to return to her bed. Her and Elwin began to sink into a quiet conversation, occasionally looking back at Sophie with worried eyes. She heard the words X-ray, gash, and a ton of other indecipherable things.

A part of her had hope for herself. What if Livvy could save her? Sophie squashed it down like an annoying bug. She couldn't let herself hope. If she did, she would be faced with tremendous pain and disappointment.

They turned towards her, still whispering. In the midst of muttering, Sophie heard one phrase: "if we're gonna do that, we'll need some help."

What could that mean?

Then everything bursted into chaos. Elwin was holding her down while Livvy was calling out of the window for Tam.

Sophie fought against Elwin's arms, channeling strength into her arm. And she won, with only one arm. She pushed him away and sat up, only to be immediately pushed down again.

Sophie looked into silver-blue eyes. She raised and eyebrow. "Really?" she deadpanned, trying her best pulled herself up again. Tam held her down with all of his strength and she was about to win, but Elwin jumped in again.

They both took hold of her and with only one arm, Sophie couldn't beat them, yet she still struggled.

Livvy leaned over her and shoved a liquid down her throat.

The cold sweet liquid coated her tongue and she swallowed. Suddenly her brain began to cloud and she felt drowsy. "No. Why?"

"It's for your own good," Livvy told her as she drifted off.

Trauma began to surface to the front of her brain and she was reminded of things she wanted to forget.

The last thing she Sophie saw were Elwin's apologetic eyes.

She drifted off to a dreamless sleep.

—————————

Sophie woke up from her second sleep of the day. Her vision was blurry and she rubbed her eyes to uncloud it. Her eyes adjusted to the light.

Sophie tried to sit up, but her head felt light, so she settled down in her blankets again.

What had happened? Why did they do that to her?

Elwin and Tam both knew how traumatizing sedatives were for her, so why did they give one to her? Sophie felt angry. Memories flashed through her brain, grimacing as she remembered the pain.

She felt a sharp pain in her left forearm. Sophie rolled up her sleeve to see a faint bruise on her skin, a scab in the middle of it. Had they injected her with something. Maybe she should add needles to her 'list of things I hate' again.

She scanned the room, seeing Elwin sat at her desk with his head in his hands. "It didn't work," he mumbled.

"What didn't work?" She didn't like seeing the usually happy physician looking so defeated.

"We tried, we injected you with-" he cut himself off. "I need to go back to the drawing board. Have a good day Sophie. I'm sorry."

He stood and exited the room. "No Elwin! It's okay." She called after him. But he was already gone. Sophie felt helpless. She couldn't do anything to make herself feel better, and she couldn't help the others around her.

Sophie couldn't go to school for the next three so she would have to wait to talk to Elwin. Maybe she could convince him that this wasn't his fault.

She rested her head on her bed board and drifted off to sleep.

—————————

Two weeks.

Two weeks had passed since the weird testing thing in her room. Sophie hadn't seen Elwin since then.

She and Tam had been allowed back into the school. Sophie had been to the healing centre, looking for Elwin, but he was never there. It was so weird, he was the only school physician, if someone got hurt, what would happen? If Sophie got hurt what would happen? She felt as if this was her fault, even though she had no power to prevent it.

She had had a few of her episodes over the past two weeks, but she waved them off. Tam had tried to help her, but there was nothing he could do, and Sophie was still a bit salty at him.

The dance was in a week. Biana was over the moon about it. She had planned all the girls dresses, with different hairstyles, jewellery and everything.

Sophie didn't feel the same. Something big was going to happen at the dance. The Neverseen was planning something. But what? She didn't want to wait and find out, she wanted to find a way to prevent it.

But what could she do? Nothing. She wasn't powerful enough to save everyone, maybe not even herself. Sophie knew she had to prepare. She would train, hide weapons in her clothes. No matter what, the student had to stay safe.

"Sophie?"

Her head looked over to see Fitz staring into her eyes. Sophie's heart fluttered and her cheeks went red. Why, cheeks, do you have to betray me? The group was sitting on the living room floor of the Everglen mansion. Biana had invited everyone over after school. Sophie wasn't in the mood, but she had been trying to convince her friends for that she was fine. So that meant sucking it up.

"Yeah?"

"What are you thinking about?" He nudged her arm with his.

Sophie sighed, decided to be honest.

"Something big is going to happen at the dance." It felt good voicing her worries.

Fitz nodded.

"We have to prepare," she continued. "What if someone gets hurt?"

"Sophie, we've already prepared for the worst. We have pockets in all of our clothes, we have exit strategies. We even have certain positions that we will stand at to assure that nothing happens. Mr. Forkle is sending some other members as 'chaperones' to watch as well. It will be fine, nothing to worry about." He sound so sure of it that Sophie couldn't help but believe it.

She hoped he was right.

A/N
1230 words! Hope you enjoyed it. Stay tuned!

😄♥️😈-kayTam87