Chapter 72

"Who are you? What do you want from me?" Wanda coldly asks.

"I - no." I stutter, horrified. Wanda's lips are thin as she watches me, both of us awkwardly sprawled out on the floor where we fell.

I open my mouth to say something, but I'm speechless. How do I explain to her who I am? Who I am to her? What we've been through? She would think me absolutely insane. So instead, I slouch there, completely silent, staring at the woman I love while she's staring at a complete stranger. Wanda tilts her head, waiting for an answer that doesn't come. The way there is nothing familiar in her gaze tears at me, and yet I can't look away from her, the pain etching itself deep in me.

"What? You don't know how to speak?" Wanda taunts, a mean gleam in her eye.

I shake my head, blinking rapidly, trying to make sense of the situation. Wanda doesn't remember me, and I need to figure out what else they've wiped her of, of what else she doesn't remember. She can clearly use her magic- at least a small fraction of it, for a short amount of time. Hydra must be feeling confident that I won't be able to convince Wanda to escape with me. Which is what I need to do. The quicker, the better.

"Wanda, I know you don't trust me and tha-"
"I don't know you. Why would I trust you?" She corrects me pointedly and I sigh, impatiently, trying to not allow myself to feel hurt. Wanda waits for my reaction, looking slightly uncertain. I remind myself of how strange this whole situation is for her.

"Right, yes, well, that's too bad, because you do know me." I tell her calmly, and her eyebrows shoot up slightly as she's taken aback by my change of tone. "My name is Olivia and we've... well, we've been friends for a while."

Wanda looks rather unimpressed by my merger attempt at encapsulating what it is we are to each other. I might not be able to explain it, I realize, because I don't even know what we are. We are friends. But we've kissed. We're friends who've kissed and told each other 'I love you'. Right, what does that make us?

I wish I could just shake her by the shoulders and tell her to get a grip, to remember me, but I don't quite feel like being subjected to her magic again so soon. I huff again, irritated by my lack of action.

"Alright, there's no time for this. Wanda, you know me. I wouldn't hurt you. Hydra has captured us and we need to leave. Like, now."

"Hydra?" Wanda lets out a little laugh, which sounds about as fake as they come. "You wouldn't hurt me? That's funny. No, Olivia, I do not know you. All I know is what I saw in your head. So, I know one thing. I know you are a liar. You would hurt me."

Her words twist in my gut, and it's because she's not wrong. She's exactly right. I did hurt her. I quickly look away, blinking rapidly to get rid of the moisture gathering in my eyes. I cannot start crying. I need to get her out of here, I need t get her someplace safe, and then I will get her back.

"Oh my god, I forgot how irritating you can be." I plaster on a fake annoyed look, rolling my eyes. I hope she doesn't pick up on the way my voice pitifully trembles. She huffs.

I exhale shakily and stand up. Wanda quickly follows suit, although she looks rather unsteady like she's running off an empty tank. I pause, ready to catch her should she faint and fall again, but she stays upright, only closing her eyes for a brief moment to steady herself.

"You alright?" I ask her and she shoots me a dirty look. Fine, I roll my eyes again and walk right past her to the door of the cell.

"What are you doing?" I hear her question me, her accent slightly thicker, betraying how tired she is. I ignore her, trying the door to see whether some unfortunate guard might've messed up and forgotten to lock it. Unfortunately, that is not the case.