Thirteen. Jingshi.

Cloud Recesses

Lan Wangji silently followed Wei Wuxian through the gates of Cloud Recesses. From there is another three-minute walk along a stone decorated path walk, a stream running down below.

Finally, they reached the inner gate of the Cloud Recesses, where the name was embedded in a stone.

Abruptly, Wei Wuxian stopped his long-legged approach, shaking his head to himself as he peeks through the gate.

"What's wrong, Professor Wei?"

Wei Wuxian clicked his tongue, seemingly wary, "I'm getting a weird feeling," He arched his back, "For some reason, I'm reminded of pain,"

Lan Wangji frowned as he worriedly approached Wei Wuxian. Does the place only give the Professor a sense of hurt? Was bringing him to Gusu a wrong decision after all. "Professor Wei..." Maybe he was being too harsh.

Wei Wuxian pouted, "Don't know why but I already feel like my ears are bleeding from listening to an old man's regular lecture. Does that make sense? I also felt like my back burns from lashes- are you sure this place isn't a disciplinary camp? You know, I'm generally very good with my hunches."

Lan Wangji's worries disappeared, smiling even. His Wei Wuxian is definitely an amusing guy. And just like what the Professor said, the first Wei Wuxian was a bit of a character and had gone through numerous punishments during his stay in Cloud Recesses as a young man. Those feelings that Professor Wei had mentioned are indeed a piece of his past life.

"You smiling like that does not help, Lan Zhan,"

Lan Wangji instantly tried to erase the smile on his face as he pulled the Professor's hand to bring him inside. "Lan Clan has a strict disciplinary foundation, and I cannot deny that our ancestors may or may not have given heavy punishments such as flogging, forced seclusion, and copying the Lan Clan Principle. So, Professor Wei, before you could make the same mistake again , look behind you,"

Wei Wuxian raised a brow as his student oh-so-kindly gave him a twirl to face an achingly familiar six-foot-tall stone tablet with ant-size (obviously not) old Chinese characters embedded on it. Swallowing the gnawing feeling down his chest, he inched closer to the stone tablet. And it is what he had feared. This tablet indeed holds the Lan Clan House Rules, Principles or whatever the hell it is because, God damn, that really brought him in many realities away. His soul nearly escaped him. His face paled.

"Don't worry," Lan Wangji chuckled beside him, enjoying the shock in his Professor's face, "Our ancestors already broken a handful of them." Like how the first Lan Wangji continuously brought alcohol to Cloud Recesses for his Wei Ying. During the grand wedding anniversary, the first Lan Xichen prepared for his younger brother and his difu (brother-in-law) , in which liquor was organized limitlessly that night. Not even the elders were able to stop their Clan Leader. Who are they to restrain a doting older brother?