Thanks But No Thanks

"There, there, Elody," soothes Syon's mother, picking the little blond girl up and hugging her close. "Let's go find your parents."

When we go out into the open air what we see hurts our hearts. The place is a mess. Merchandise is strewn all over the place, tents knocked over, people huddled together near the remnants of their booths – it's a horrendous sight.

Syon's mother guides us through the commotion and over to the feast pavilion. Mom is near the entrance and spots us. She runs through the melee to hug us.

"Are you all right?" she asks, while touching our heads, faces, arms and any other body part she can reach. "I was searching all over for you. I was afraid the Motos took you."

"My sister Sanda is gone," says Syon's mother breaking into tears. "One of the Motos, the large one, hurt her and then they took her."

"I'm sorry, Shela," says Mom reaching to hug her. "I'm so sorry."

"The SCM captain questioned Crinae," Syon's mother says. "But he didn't get anywhere."

"What?" stammers Mom.

"He asked me about chores," Crinae says. "I said I helped you sweep."

"You do help me sweep. Good girl." She kisses Crinae on the top of her head and then nods towards the feasting tent. "They're still going to go on as planned. The Motos left the food tables intact and we're all expected to be there. No matter what happened."

"They would surely have a revolt if they had destroyed the food!" exclaims Syon's mother, wiping her tears with her sleeve. "Where's Dimitri?"

"He went to help a buddy with his booth," says Mom, casting her eyes to the ground. "The Motos took a baseball bat to it. Dimitri will be back before supper."

Midnight is still a long ways away and even though I just had a scare, it didn't shake the hunger out of me. I'm famished as are my sisters. Even Syon and Eden are pale and don't feel like tottering around anymore. Our two families sit outside the tent and talk and watch vendor's clean up their booths.

"Are the SCMs still here?" I ask. I hadn't heard the motorbikes start up again. A sound I'll never ever forget.

"They must be," says Mom. "They'll probably be patrolling the perimeter of the four-way. Seeing if anyone is coming and going."

"Who would be coming and going?" I ask.

"This is a conversation best left for home," she warns.

I want to talk to Syon. We have been buddies ever since we shared our first scraped knees from scrambling up the rocks together. So why am I having a hard time coming up with topics of conversation?

"Did you see Goliath's boots?" I ask Syon. "They were big."

"Bet he couldn't run in them though. Too heavy."

"Wouldn't want to find out."

"No. Wouldn't want to find out."

I bob from one topic to the next. Babbling on and on about nothing.

"Have you always talked this much?" he asks me.

I stare at him with my mouth open. I was about to ask him about the new word Goliath had said Aeternian. Instead, I take the hint and shut up.

The sun begins to creep down the mountains and the stars come out to glow. It's not like you can really make them out though. It never gets really dark and the dust in the air is thick and does a good job of hiding celestial objects.