Chapter 46

~Ash~

"What the hell happened to her, Ashton?" My mother asked, seeing the red handprint on Esther's face when we walked into my apartment. She looked between Mae and I as she waited for an answer.

"Novah," Mae spoke up before I could explain. "I'm fine, I swear. It's not important. I'm sorry we took so long."

My mom shook her head as she walked up to Esther. "It's not nothing, hun. You have a handprint on the side of your face." My mom glanced at me as she continued. "Are you sure he didn't–"

"Mom!" I cut her off, knowing she was going to assume it was me. "I would never hit her."

"It wasn't him, Novah. I promise. It's a long story and I don't want to talk about it right now but he wouldn't hit me." Esther seemed to get through to my mom and she sighed in defeat.

"I know you wouldn't but what else am I supposed to think, Ashton?" She addressed me as she spoke.

"I don't know mom." I looked down at Mae when I felt her slip her hand into mine and tug lightly to get my attention.

"I'll be right back, I'm going to go clean myself up a bit." I nodded in response and watched her walk out of the kitchen where we had all been standing.

"We still need to talk, Ashton." My mom reminded me.

"I know." I told her. "I wanted Mae to be here when we did though." I didn't know if Mae was still up to talking to my mom with me or if she just wanted to rest for the rest of the day. I knew I still wanted her there but I wouldn't force her if she didn't want to.

"I get that, I'll be in the living room when you're ready." My mom turned away and walked into the living room, sitting on the couch while I went to my room to check on Mae.

She was walking out of the bathroom when I came in. She had somehow gotten rid of the redness as well as reapplied some foundation over her black eye which still hadn't healed. She and I both knew she didn't need to hide it since my mother had seen it yesterday but I didn't comment on it. She seemed more comfortable with it covered.

"Come here, darling." I sat down on my bed and moved my legs away from each other so she could stand between them. She did as I asked, looking down at me as I sat on the bed in front of her. She held my hands in hers as I talked. "Do you still want to be next to me when I talk to my mom or do you want to stay in here? I know you told me you still wanted to but I want to make sure you're completely sure."

"I want to be next to you." She confirmed without hesitating. She seemed sure in her decision so I decided not to question her on it further.

"Ready?" With her agreement, I stood up and made my way out of the bedroom and into the living room, still holding her hand with mine. Mae sat down next to me on the couch across from my mother.

I tried to prepare myself for anything my mom could tell me but I knew I wasn't prepared for everything and anything she could say. I hadn't had much time to think about it between work, trying to attend school and spending time with Mae but now that I was staring at my mother I started to worry about all of the possibilities.

"Okay," My mom sighed, drawing me out of my own thoughts before I could get lost in them. "I don't want to beat around the bush so I'm just going to say it. Your dad and I are getting divorced."

My face dropped at her words. "What?" I shook my head. "No, no." It was like I couldn't accept the fact that my parents, the people who I saw were madly in love when I was a kid, were divorcing. They used to be so in love it disgusted me but now that I look back on it I want to have that type of love in my life. I want that with Esther.