23. Living it or watching it?

(Unedited)

Hey (; it's been a while... don't forget to vote and comment!!

_____________________

Nova

The  waiter sends me another look that makes me feel like a loser. I got ditched by my own boss and now people are staring at me with sympathy. Good grief, this is the last time I do anything nice for anyone. Mae was supposed to meet me for lunch but she didn't show up. Isn't it supposed to be the worker who's unprofessional? I'm totally gonna use this against her for a raise.

Sighing, I get ready to get up and do my walk of shame but my phone starts ringing and I hope it's the heathen who ditched me apologizing frantically. It ends up being Theo and some of my bad mood lifts. We've been talking more and every time it fills me with excitement. I pick up, bringing the phone to my ears. "Hey!" I sound too enthusiastic. Who gives a shit? Me... kind of.

"Where are you?" he asks. Aw, doesn't he have the best greetings?

"On a date," I say for my own amusement.

"Why'd you pick up then? Is he boring you?" he asks.

"No, I just wanted to remind myself of the... lesser men that exist," I say with a grin.

"You're cute, now be serious," he says.

I'm offended. Does he not think I could be on a date right now? "My date wouldn't like you calling me cute," I say.

"Tell your date I want to take his spot. Get lunch with me," he says.

Is he asking me out? This man... Nova, what better do you have to do today? That's true. "What if I don't want you to take his spot?"

"I'd be hurt," he says.

"I always figured you'd be too busy to have lunch," I say honestly. His job seems to swallow most of his time. I wonder how that feels. His entire life revolves around his work and he has a lot more than the normal person but he barely gets to live. 

"I don't starve, Scott," he sighs.

"Have lunch with someone else, I'm busy," I groan. I stare at the empty seat across from me and roll my eyes when the waiter dramatically sighs as she passes me.

"No one entertains me like you do," he says, making me feel all giddy. "I miss you." His words fall deep under my skin. I'll be thinking of them over and over again. I miss you. He misses me. Theo black misses me. I can't help the flush that runs its way down my body. Is it weird that I wish everyone in the world had heard that?

"So does my date," I continue, fighting my grin. "He's concerned for my phone bill."

"I'll pay it," he says. Of course, he'd pay it. That seems to be the only thing he has to offer these days.

"Now that's a good offer," I sigh. "I'm not convinced yet."

"Please," he grumbles reluctantly. How cute! he can use manners once in a while.

I smile, call him adorable which almost earns me him hanging up, and then ask what he likes from the menu before he gets on my nerves and I hang up instead. I order for him, getting him a cookie even though he didn't ask for one. The waiter looks relieved to get an update from me and before I know it, I'm on my way to his work building.

The last time I was here, we had a less than lovely interaction, but now, I feel embarrassed by how excited I am to see him. You know how sometimes when you look forward to something so much that the rest of your day feels boring compared to your expectations for that one thing? That's how I feel every time I have plans to see him and I honestly hate it. It makes me feel stupid and small, but I can't help it.