𝐢𝐧𝐣𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 | brucinette

— BRUCE WAS LATE.

As he slammed his fist into his opponent's jaw, he frantically checked his watch and saw that he was nearly 15 minutes late for his date with Marinette.

See, Marinette wasn't particularly aware of his nightly activities and at the moment, Bruce didn't want her too.

Not because she wouldn't support him, she absolutely would; but because of the danger it would put her in.

And Bruce didn't want that.

Why?

Because Marinette was - and still is - the most honest, most genuine person he has ever had the pleasure of meeting.

He was snapped out of his thoughts when an excruciating pain struck Bruce.

He was so distracted by Marinette that he completely lost focus of his surroundings and his opponent had taken advantage of that.

A sharp blade was sticking out of Bruce's side and hot, sticky blood was gushing out of it.

The pain didn't register until a few long moments later, when the adrenaline wore off just enough to make Bruce stagger with the pain.

After a few minutes of futile fighting, Bruce could feel his energy and strength fading slowly, and knew that he was in no state to continue fighting.

Sending one last kick at his opponent, stunning them, Bruce launched himself up into the nearest building, pushing his body to its limits.

As he saw the entrance to the Batcave, blood still pouring from his wound, Bruce could feel his consciousness fading slowly.

Once he stumbled inside the cave, his world completely faded to black.

◇─◇──◇─◇

Marinette didn't mean to snoop around.

Honestly!

She was just walking around Wayne Manor aimlessly because Alfred was out and Bruce was late.

Once again.

He was constantly late to meet-ups and dates in the night and Marinette didn't understand why, but she had a sneaking suspicion.

After all, the excuses he came up with were very much similar to the ones she came up with when she was Ladybug.

And because she got bored of waiting, Marinette accidentally stumbled upon the Batcave.

Looking around in wonder, she silently congratulated herself because yes, she had been correct in her suspicions.

Bruce Wayne was Batman and that was probably the reason why he was always late.

◇─◇──◇─◇

Marinette was just rummaging around curiously when someone stumbled into the Batcave gasping and mumbling.

Surprised, she shrieked loudly and heard the significant thud of a body hitting the floor.

Whirling around, Marinette gasped as she saw Batman bleeding out on the floor, mask askew.

Under it, she could see the familiar features of Bruce's handsome face.

Marinette moved quickly, knowing that in situations like this, time was always running out.

Pulling out the huge first-aid kit she had noticed earlier, Marinette left Bruce on the floor, knowing she didn't have the strength to pull him onto the table in the middle of the room.

She laid out all the materials she'd need, and quickly tore Bruce's suit open, where he was wounded.

Wincing at the increased flow of blood, Marinette quickly wiped it and cringed at how deep the wound was.

Pulling out a needle, Marinette began to stitch the wound together, her skills proving to be extremely useful in the heat of the moment.

Somewhere along the way, Bruce began to regain consciousness, attempting to sit up once he saw who was helping him.

"Lie down," Marinette hissed. "After being almost thirty minutes late for our date, that's the least you can do."

"How did you find the Batcave?" Bruce mumbled, face scrunching up in pain.

Marinette continued stitching, this time a little faster; anything to decrease the pain. "By accident. I was bored."

Bruce nodded distractedly, his eyes tracking Marinette's familiar movements of stitching, only this time, she was stitching his skin.

"You know," he started, "I can do this on my own now, you don't have to-"

"First off, I've seen your stitching skills Bruce," Marinette interrupted. "They're pathetic. I assume Alfred must stitch you up when it's needed. And secondly, do you honestly think I'm going to leave now? Because if you do, you're an absolute idiot."

Bruce laid back down without question.

Silent for the next few minutes of painful stitching, Bruce looked at Marinette thoughtfully.

"You love me right?" he asked.

Marinette stopped stitching for a moment. "Normally, I would say yes without hesitation...but there seems to be an ulterior motive."

"Marry me." Bruce blurted out and Marinette nearly stabbed him with the needle.

"What?" She gaped. "Bruce-"

He interrupted her and Marinette had to hide a grin as she watched the Bruce Wayne ramble for what was probably the first time in his life. "I've been thinking about adopting a kid because it gets lonely at the Manor you know, and I-"

Marinette let him fumble for a few more seconds before she silenced him with a kiss. "Of course I will. I love you."

Bruce smiled at her tenderly and relaxed. "I love you too. But you know, we don't have to get married right away, we can wait for a while-"

Marinette put her finger on his lips. "Bruce. I'm going to need you to lie down because I can't stitch your wound if you're sitting up like this."

She shot him a stern look.

Bruce lay back down onto the stone floor, mumbling, "Yes ma'am."

"Good." Marinette continued stitching up his wounds. "Maybe after that we can decide the details."

Bruce shot her the sunniest grin he could manage through the pain.

It was silent for a few moments before he spoke again. "You know, you can come out as Ladybug again if you want."

Marinette stilled for a moment before she looked at him. "How did you know? I didn't tell you-"

"But I have my resources, Mari," Bruce shot her one of his dazzling smirks, the one he used in the tabloids but only multiplied by ten. "Your, ah, suit didn't cover as much of your identity as it probably should have."

Marinette blushed remembering just how skin-tight her Ladybug suit was. "Oh."

"I assume you enjoyed it?" She shot him a sly grin and this time, it was her turn to smirk at Bruce as he blushed.

He opened his mouth, probably to give some suave answer, but before he could, Alfred walked into the Batcave and gave them a congratulatory smile.

"Congratulations, Ms. Marinette and Master Bruce." He offered and promptly walked out after bidding them a good night.

Marinette blinked. "How did he-"

"Know?" said Bruce. "I don't even know. At this point, I just go along with the fact that Alfred knows everything."

◇─◇──◇─◇

this is an au because *technically* dick, jason and all aren't formally a part of the family yet.

also why do all of my (two) brucinette fics end with bruce proposing to marinette??