Chapter 25

"Do you have any idea where we are going?"

The wind whipping against their faces prevented Taehyung's voice from being fully audible, or maybe it was just the horse's thundering hooves colliding with the rosy stones heavily. The prince looked back towards Jungkook sitting right behind him, as if he was supposed to have any answers.

They had been riding for about an hour, this being probably the furthest trip Taehyung had ever been on and therefore making him nervous.
"You don't expect me to actually answer that, do you?," the brunette called back, shaking his head and holding on to the older's waist to stabilize them in spite of the abnormally high speed.

They were truly lucky with the weather, the sun shining bright and gold for the approaching hour of noon and peeking through the coats of healthy green leaves blocking them from its light. This led to the boys being able to see their surroundings properly and truly, Taehyung had no idea where they were as he had neved dared to go this far into the woods. He was also starting to worry about his horse's strength, as they did not have any food or water with them to strengthen themselves.

Jungkook seemed to have the same thought. "Damn, we should've brought snuck of those wedding snacks with us. If anyone deserves to eat those cream tarts, it's us," he muttered to no one in particular.
"It'll be fine, don't you worry," he then spoke into the prince's ear loudly, squeezing his waist to reassure him.

And about ten minutes later, Jungkook saw something that made him gasp. "Weeping willows! I remember seeing those on my way here!" And indeed, it was the trees with pearly white trunks and luscious red roses with bronze, silver and gold thorns embellishing them and appearing just like in a fairytale. Was this the solution? Was this some sort of border between Elysium and the common world?

It was just as he had remembered. The glittering leaves of the willows touched the ground like curtains shielding them from what was behind them and the neatly laid out rosy stone path stopped here, plain earth and common wallflowers stretching out before them.

Roseanne seemed to sense the change of surrounding, for she stopped in front of the willows with a confused neigh. "I know this is new for you," Taehyung panted. "But we have to keep going. Or we'll spend the rest of our lives locked in the dungeons, father will make sure of that." He patted the horse's head swiftly, and as if she understood, she strutted forward and passed the weeping willows carefully.

And just as they had crossed the border-like accumulation of weeping willows, there was something that made the animal neigh out of panic. It had collided with another, much smaller, animal.

All Taehyung and Jungkook could see within the small blink of an eye in which the little animal was visible was a dotted furcoat and long and thin legs, perhaps also a slender neck. Jungkook had a sudden déjà vu-like feeling.
Was it possible that he had seen this animal before?

Roseanne surely hadn't, she was suddenly very agitated and almost panicky. And although Taehyung tried to soothe her by softly patting her fur, her muscles were extremely tense.

And all of a sudden, she started galloping at full speed again which might have thrown the boys off her back (due to the lack of a saddle), if the prince hadn't instinctively gripped her mane and Jungkook hadn't instinctively gripped him.

There was no doubt of it, she was following the animal that had just bumped into them, if out of curiosity, anger or else they could not know. But after a journey worth of two or three hours, Jungkook and Taehyung mentally noted how the trees were starting to look more like normal trees and how the earth was starting to look like regular dirt.

Truly, no one had any idea where they were going or where they were supposed to go. The horse followed the strange animal and the two boys on its back simply went along with it. They didn't have much of a choice, as they didn't exactly know where to go, either. Where even was their destination? Did they have one?