39 | Joie

I seasoned shredded chicken sizzled in the pan

I seasoned shredded chicken sizzled in the pan. I was cooking dinner for Gunner and Misty, wearing a sleeveless muscle tank dress, when I heard footfalls approaching behind me. Soon Gunner came beside me, leaning on the counter. I placed down the seasoning container and glanced over at Gunner and he held a grin. I knew this boy. Any time he wanted to ask me something he would hold that same smile.

I chuckled a little. "What do you want Carrot? Food's almost done."

"Why's Auntie Andi coming to watch us tonight?" Gunner asked. "You going out on a date?"

I laughed at Gunner as he jumped his eyebrows up and down. "It's not a date. It's two friends having a friendly dinner and all."

"Yeah. Okay." He offered me a yeah right expression. "Can I ask you something?"

I noticed his tone got serious. "You can ask me anything."

"Do we have to live with Aqua?" He asked with concern, "I mean I like Taveus. I love my sister. But I rather live with me. Me and Misty both want to stay here. We can go weekends with Aqua or something. But we want to stay here."

This is what I didn't want Gunner or Misty to have to worry about. But of course Aqua's so selfish she didn't take into consideration how this custody battle would affect the two most important people. All she cares about is beating me at something for once in her life. And it's sad.

I built up a smile, touching his chin. "You or Misty don't worry your gorgeous faces about that. I got this. Where's Misty anyway?"

"Playing with her dollies," Gunner told me as the doorbell rung. "That Aunty Andi?"

"Yup. Go open the door." I tell him and Gunner raced out to do that while I checked the food.

"I have arrived!" Andi announced.

I did not hear the normal babbling as usual when Andi came and it made me look her way and she was empty handed. "Uhh, where the hell is my niece?" I asked.

"With her daddy." She let me know, "Why hoe? I'm fine too. Thanks for asking."

"Honey, fuck you." We laughed in unison, "Na foreal, tell Jarvis to stop coming to get her. Hell. How's my future brother in-law?"