Chapter 8

It was definitely a long, boring story that (Y/N) really didn't feel like reminiscing on again, but she put up with it, managed to give Tangle a simple summary of the past few months and express her endless search. Sonic added in where he felt necessary, like kicking Metal Sonic's butt and making Eggman run off. They also explained that Eggman had her family, but they had no idea where to find them since he had so many bases.

Tangle seemed blown away by the story, especially when the two heroes gave their sides of the fight with Metal. Jewel looked like she was trembling but commented on the broken ribs making sense. Tangle glanced at her, asking if she was okay, and the (a/t) noted that, while Tangle and Jewel seemed completely different, they were clearly very close friends. Then, the lemur turned to (Y/N), asking if she was okay.

"I mean, I'm really sore, yeah. I'm as good as I can be at the moment. I just... Don't know what to do next."

Tangle shared a look with Jewel, who gave a warm smile. The lemur jumped to her feet and ran into the storeroom she and Sonic had disappeared into before. The (a/t) watched in confusion, glancing at Sonic, who shrugged, also completely unsure as to what Tangle was up to, before she returned with a large rolled up piece of paper.

"After Sonic saved the city and made us an alliance to the Resistance, I got in contact with the people over at your HQ and requested a map of Eggman's labs." She said, a sly smile spreading over her grey muzzle, "It was to keep citizens away from them, in case they somehow managed to accidentally straggle across one. Thankfully, the Resistance was more than happy to share the info."

The lemur laid the large paper out on the floor in front of them, a map with a bunch of red 'X's covered the whole sheet. Her taped hand moved over the map, pointing out specific 'X's and circling around others,

"You won't have to bother with these bases. Whisper has already checked them out for us, and she didn't see anything suspicious there." Tangle's eyes stared at the paper, full focus.

Sonic's eyes studied the map as well, and he pointed at a circled base, "That one is clear as well, I'd checked it with Tails."

(Y/N) glanced at the two, before leaning over the map. There were more circles than crosses but seeing just how many bases had been crossed out did help make her feel better. Though the sea of red circles still felt overwhelming.

"H... How much of the land does this map cover...?" She asked, holding her arm tightly.

"The whole planet." Tangle said, and Sonic nodded, noting that he recognised a lot of the landmarks. It did make sense, there was no way this many bases would be so close to each other, though the job still felt... Big. It was nerve-racking thinking about all the places they would need to check.

Jewel joined Tangle's side, holding a black marker in her hand. She reached out to Sonic, offering it to him and the hedgehog took it. They seemed to share a gaze, and the blue hero got to scribbling and crossing out other bases. He moved across the map with ease, knowing which ones to scratch off the list, and the (a/t) found herself watching him.

The way he worked the map was mesmerising. His emerald eyes were set on the map, focused, and determined, his brow furrowed as he remembered which bases were clear or not. His hand moved quickly, leaving many more black marks over the red circles. The (a/t) felt like she was back in the war, watching as Knuckles planned out attacks against Eggman, except this time she wasn't terrified to go into battle. The group spent the next 10 minutes watching Sonic scratch off base after base, ones that he had cleared himself, ones that had been totally destroyed, ones that hadn't been used since the old days and Eggman had definitely forgotten, the list was endless. It felt endless.

While they were working through the list, Sonic making sure he crossed off the right ones, another Mobian joined everyone at the table. She was a cream-coloured wolf with white fur around her eyes and a dark muzzle and a mask sitting atop her head. She stood to the side of Jewel, and Tangle noticed her at almost the same time (Y/N) did.

The lemur smiled wide and jumped up, pulling the wolf into a side hug, the other smiled at this, and Tangle quickly caught her up on everything. The wolf was silent the whole time, giving a nod to Sonic and Jewel, before waving to the (a/t). (Y/N) waved back nervously.

"There you are Whisper." Sonic chuckled, welcoming the wolf, "Perfect timing, have you been to any Eggman bases recently? And if so, were there any hostages in them?"

The wolf, Whisper, is silent for a moment, studying the map with her crystal blue eyes. She then pointed at a few bases close by,

"Those ones..." She whispered, before moving her hand and circling another bunch, "And those ones... No people..."

Sonic nodded and scratched them out as well, before capping the marker and straightened. He stretched his arms over his head, puffing his chest out. The map looked like a complete mess, and it probably was to anyone that didn't know what it was for, but at least two thirds of Eggman's bases had been marked off. It definitely made (Y/N) feel somewhat more relieved, but there was still a huge hunt in front of them, and they barely had a place to start.

The (a/t) straightened as well, yawning, and going to stretch, but she flinched as a twinge of pain shot through her ribs. The medication seemed to be wearing off, and the days events were finally catching up to her. To think she arrived in the city this morning. Her body finally felt like it was about to crash, and she glanced at Sonic to figure out what to do. The hedgehog's green eyes caught her, and he gave her a warm smile. Sonic made his way around the table to help steady the exhausted (a/t), before turning to his friends,

"Hey guys, not to be rude and invite myself over but... Do you think we could use a spare room at someone's place for a while? Until (Y/N) has recovered enough that is."

"Of course! You guys can bunker at my place if you want." Tangle said, throwing a thumb at her chest, "Come on, I'll take you there now. I can't believe you're both still up at this hour, especially after what you've been through."

Sonic chuckled, throwing a comment about how he does it a lot, out into the open. He turned to the (a/t) and held his hands out in offering. She smiled and nodded, and the hedgehog scooped her up. Tangle opened the entrance to the museum for him, and he, Tangle and Whisper all made their way out into the city.