Chapter 27: Friend

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

Connecticut, December, 2018

"Hmmm dah dah." I hummed to the sound of the tv while sitting on my couch. The sound of knocking at my front door caught my attention. With a huff, I pulled the blanket of me and dragged myself to the door. I opened it to find the Captain himself standing there.

"Are you here to give me a lecture, Steve, cause I'm really not in the mood?" I ask leaning against the doorway. "No." He spoke sternly, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Then why are you?" I questioned, shifting in my stance. "As a friend." I sigh, opening the door for him to enter.

"Would you like a drink? I'm making hot chocolate?" I shouted to him from the kitchen. "Yes, that would be great thank you." I made the warm drinks and drought them into the living room where the fire warmed the house and the lights on the Christmas tree brightened the room. "Here you go." He smiled, quickly wrapping his hands around the warm beverage "thanks." I smiled back, walking to the other sofa to sit on.

"Why are you really here, Steve?"

"Because I wanted to check in on you. I know it's hard. You lost a lot of people closest to you." He stopped for a second to sip at the drink. "No, I lost everyone. Sam, Bucky, Vision... Wanda. I know what's it like to lose people Steve. If this is a way for you to think your helping after we lost, please go rid your guilt with someone else."

"Anara. I care about you. I never wanted to see you hurt. Your a kid and you shouldn't be going through this, hell no one should." I chuckled at his wording. "Language, captain." He chuckled back.

"This is really good. Where did you learn to make it?" I smiled into my cup. "My mama. When it was winter in Sokovia my papa used to sneak in hot coco powder when he brought us American movies. They were the best drink." Steve sent me a sad smile back. I turned my attention to movie that was paused on my tv.

"Was Frank Sinatra singing when you were in the 40's?" I turned my head to him once I finished talking. He looked taken back for a moment that I asked a question. "Umm,
Yes. I saw him sing once at an event."

"Did you watch any 50's movies after you came out of the ice?" I asked, sipping at my drink. "No, I tried to catch up more on the present time." I nodded back to the captain. "I think that the older movies are better. Doris day, Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby. The greatest." He didn't speak back but I could tell he was thinking about the things he missed. "Would you like to watch this? It's about two men who helped the Haynes sisters escape their landlord. The two men asked the sisters to perform in a Christmas show with them. It's a classic."

"That would be nice." I chucked him over a blanket and made myself comfy in the chair. The film had only just started so he didn't miss anything. "Did you watch meet me in St. Louis? It came out in 1944. It's another classic."

"Yeah I did. I had a day of from taking down HYDRA so I decided to go to the pictures. It was enjoyable." He smiled at the memory.

"When I was little my papa would bring DVDs back. In Sokovia at that time everyone was poor and we didn't have much recent things. He used to buy them to sell at markets but always let me and the twins pick a few first. Pietro would always pick those stupid action movies or the muppets. Wanda would constantly pick the sit coms but I loved the classics. I watched 'Send me no flowers' three times in a row once. I wish sometimes that I had the chance to visit there. Bucky's stories make it sound peaceful in a sense."

"You like Bucky a lot. He was never this close with a woman back then but now he just about trusts me." I bit my lip as I thought. "It's because I see him as a person. I don't see him as someone who was born in a different time or went through trauma, I see him as James and I think he likes-liked that I never treated him like a broken doll or a fragile man. I was myself with him and I believe him with I." Steve had a genuine smile on face. Even though the soldier in question was gone and Steve had barely been close with him since the airport, I could tell that he was happy that both of us found someone.

"Now lets get this movies started before I kick you out." I grinned and pressed play on the remote and sat down to get comfy. The mugs with the warm liquid was snuggled in our hands, the TV sound filled the air and the dainty lights lit the room enough for the darkness not to consume. That was how we spent the next few hours before I fell asleep and Steve made sure that I was back in bed before carefully leaving and shutting the door behind. That was how I spent my first Christmas.