19 - ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀ

EMMETT, ROSALIE,  Athena and Jasper all got to work, eradicating any sign of battle using the fire that enveloped the building at record speed -thanks to a little help from some alcohol that Athena had grabbed from one of the nearby apartments. James was dead. Dead and gone forever and Athena had managed to avoid the same fate - something which she was understandably enormously pleased about. As the four vampires ran from the smoking scene and into a random empty building nearby, Jasper received a phone call from Alice which detailed a very intriguing drive to the hospital and the fact that Bella was going to be okay - after her blood had been fully replenished and a cast had become a new accessory.

Rosalie and Emmett decided to go back to Forks, knowing that their job here was done but Jasper wanted to stay (so he could help with any sort of panic that Bella could feel when she came to) and Athena didn't feel like returning to Forks quite yet. Nearly dying had brought up some feelings that she hadn't realised existed and those now prominent feelings - that she walled up - would not let her leave quite just yet. Jasper and Athena both decided to walk to the hospital as she wanted to enjoy the night air for as long as she could; it was one of those nights where the air was crisp, the stars shone ever so brightly as the clouds had become light wisps that decorated the sky - sometimes crossing the full moon if they wanted. In short, Athena felt as if she was in heaven. She had not died and got to live to see the beautiful night that surrounded her. "God, don't you think it's beautiful?" she whispered, looking up at the moon as she and Jasper walked arm in arm down a dimly lit street.

"The moon?" he asked with a slightly raised brow, looking up at the thing that caused so much bliss to radiate off her that he almost did not want to bring up her withholding the truth from him. It would be a shame to break such a happy demeanour.

"Everything about the sky. A long time ago, people used to believe that each light in the sky was a soul that got lost on its way to heaven because it wanted to watch over their families until they could meet them again. I never bought into that but it does bring some comfort, upon occasion, to think that maybe my mother is watching from somewhere. Even if I never knew her," she smiled softly, breaking her focus from the sky as a mortal walked past them with both headphones in their ears - luckily.

"That is pretty beautiful," he agreed with a soft exhale, the words felt weird on his tongue. Silence overwhelmed the both of them as they continued walking, making sure to use the shadow of the buildings to avoid any sparking caused by the light of the moon. The urge overwhelmed him so he kept his voice light and unangered as he asked, "Athena, why didn't you tell me?"

"Alice said it would worry you and bad things would come from that worry. I didn't want that for you," she replied with a soft sigh, hoping he did not ask what things would have come from it. She hoped that he just knew and did not ask any questions, she could not even bear the thought of witnessing that terror again.

"Of course, it would worry me," he spoke softly, hoping to mask the anger behind his voice. It did not do the trick and he could tell by her sudden and rapid change of emotion, along with the widening of her eyes.

"I'm deeply sorry for not telling you," she whispered back, sensing some of the anger hidden behind his eyes dissipate for some unknown reason. She did not think an apology would be enough for full forgiveness so she continued with a sigh, "Alice and I tried to avoid it all we could, I wasn't even supposed to go within five miles of James but... I just wanted to help Bella."

"I know you did. I admire that about you," he smiled softly even though she could not see it as her concerned gaze fixed itself on a human walking on the other side of the road. She turned her head away from the human as they went into one of the houses, locking the door behind them.