I'm Never Enough (LM & daughter! reader)

Introduction:
Y/N Malfoy is Draco Malfoy's younger sister. She's living in her brother's shadow, always overlooked by her father - Lucius Malfoy. At Hogwarts, she joins a talent show. Will she prove her worth to him, or will nothing ever change?

PS: This is a request from an anonymous on Tumblr.

Word count: 1.2k

Published: 1/18/2022
———————————————

TW: Angst - not a happy ending, bad father-daughter relationship

At Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a new year has begun. All the students are in their common rooms, sleeping.

Except for one student - Y/N Malfoy, the younger sister of Draco Malfoy.

The girl sighs as she looks outside the window, observing the stars. She can't sleep, just like any night.

The reason is pretty simple - every night, she lies awake in her bed while worrying. Worrying about being the perfect daughter. She lives in her brother's shadow as her parents always overlook her.

Her mother, Narcissa, is more attentive and caring towards her, but her father - not so much.

Y/N has always tried her best to compete with Draco - she's a Slytherin, she's friends with everyone except for Gryffindors and Muggleborns to please her parents, and she gets Exceeds Expectations in almost all of her subjects.

Yet, her father doesn't see her.

What more can she do? She never gets in trouble, she never starts a fight. Her teachers praise her all the time.

However, it's still not good enough for Lucius Malfoy.

She's always overlooked by him. If her mother mentions the girl's good grades, Lucius merely praises Draco for something instead, completely ignoring his daughter.

This is taking a toll on her. It makes her angry and miserable... She doesn't feel loved by her father.

Whenever she tries to talk to him, he insists that he's too busy.

No matter how hard she tries to prove her worth, it never seems to work.

She lets one single tear leave her right eye, thankful that her roommates are asleep. There has to be a way for her father to notice her, to love her...

Wiping away her tears, Y/N slowly retreats to bed. She doesn't sleep much that night.

The next morning, she's awoken by one of her roommates.

"Hey, Y/N, wake up! It's time for breakfast" her friend says while gently shaking her.

Groaning, Y/N gets out of bed and puts on her uniform and cloak. Once she's ready, she and her friend walk towards the Great Hall together.

They sit among their fellow Slytherins, wishing them all a good morning.

Y/N can't help but look at her brother taunting Harry Potter. She feels extremely jealous - why does her father love him much more than her?

As she tucks into her meal, the Headmaster rises from his seat.

"Good morning, children! I have an announcement to make. Next Friday, there will be a talent show here at Hogwarts. Your parents will be there. I do hope many of you will consider joining, showing off whatever talent you may possess. That was all, thank you" he says, bowing before sitting back down on his chair.

As everybody claps, Y/N gets an idea. A talent show, maybe that's her chance!

A little over a week later, it's time. All parents are seated, waiting for the show to start.

Y/N tries to calm down her nerves, taking a deep breath. It's now or never.

She has been working so hard, practicing every single day. Her friends have even heard her sing and praised her voice.

Hopefully, her father will finally like her...

Her train of thoughts is interrupted as claps can be heard.

"Thank you. Now for the last participant - Y/N Malfoy" McGonagall announces.

Gulping, Y/N slowly walks up to the scene. As the music starts, she closes her eyes. She has chosen the song "Waiting in the Wings" by Eden Espinosa.

"Guess we all are born with parts to play. Some of us are stars, and some are just in the way..." she starts, singing the first few lines.

"I know I was meant for glory, but that's never what my story brings... And yet I keep on waiting. When you have the passion and the drive, you expect your moment center stage to arrive. I show up with heart a blazing, ready to achieve amazing things..." she continues, a few tears leaving her eyes.

"But I'm left waiting in the wings, I hear my cue and yet I'm kept there waiting... Know what to do, and still I stand there waiting. It's always someone else who sings while I'm left waiting in the wings..." she sings as she blinks away the tears.

She dares to look at the audience - her friends look in awe, giving her encouraging smiles.

Her brother looks surprised while her mother gives her a sympathetic look, both seeming to understand what it's about.

Meanwhile, her father merely looks at her with his usual cold eyes, looking unimpressed.

Y/N can't take it anymore as she looks at her father's face. She can't help but cry while running away from the scene, having enough of everything.

As she does so, everybody stares at the empty scene, looking confused with what just happened.

"I think we will stop it here" McGonagall states, looking worried for her miserable student. Why in Godric's name did she become so sad?

Meanwhile, Y/N is still running, not even sure where she's headed. She lets her feet take her wherever they want her to. Which is apparently the Astronomy Tower.

Once she arrives, she sits down on the cold floor while sobbing into her knees.

She doesn't notice that someone followed her as she's lost in her own thoughts.

"Y/N, why in Merlin's name did you just leave?" a voice says.

Y/N blinks a few times, wiping away her tears. The person who followed her is none other than her father, Lucius Malfoy.

"Father... Why did you follow me?" she questions, sniffling.

Lucius huffs. "I had to figure out why my daughter is acting unacceptable" he says, looking at her with his usual cold expression.

Y/N widens her eyes, staring at her father in bewilderment. "Unacceptable?! I have done everything for you to accept me! I guess I will never be enough for you, will I? I will never be the daughter you wished for. I'm sick of it all!" she exclaims, fresh tears leaving her eyes.

"Y/N, stop it right now! Is this how we raised you? A Malfoy never acts how you have been acting today" he says, looking at her in disbelief.

Y/N sniffles. "I'm never enough in your eyes" she says, her voice breaking.

"If you don't stop this nonsense any time soon, then yes, you never will be enough. You should be more like Draco" he says, shaking his head in disapproval.

That was the last straw.

Y/N balls her hands into fists. "I hate you!" she yells.

Lucius glares at her. "You will regret saying that. Don't come home this Christmas, your presence isn't needed" he says, huffing.

He then starts to walk away, his cane hitting the floor as he takes each step away from her.

"I just wanted you to love me" she whispers with trembling lips.

Lucius hears her, and she knows it. He however chooses to ignore her, leaving her all alone.

Y/N starts sobbing again. Her father will truly never love her.
———————————————

Author's note:
There will be a part two on 1/25/2022!