That one song...

Another peaceful day slowly passed by, and (Y/N) sat comfortably on the couch with a black cat on his lap, nuzzling into him.

(Y/N): Hehe, who's a good kitty?

Cat: Mrow!

(Y/N): That's right! It's you! It's...

A sudden sense of unease struck (Y/N). Something was wrong, but he didn't know what. He instinctively glanced over at the front door to the house, down a short hallway and beside the staircase going up.

(Y/N): You, you're a good kitty.

He set the cat on the couch beside him, then cautiously made his way to the door. He was already half way there.

Wait a second. He wasn't even armed! How was he going to do anything if there WAS something wrong?

Well, too late to think about that though, he was already at the door. That birch wood door, completely innocent and not hiding some eldritch monstrosity behind it.

Definitely not, that'd be ridiculous.

(Y/N): Why are my palms sweaty?

*Knock Knock*

Someone was knocking, almost making (Y/N) jump with surprise. A small, fluffy animal rubbing against his leg helped calm him down a bit. With a short sigh, he bends down to grab the cat (so it doesn't, maybe, run away) and opens the door.

???: So, you done housesitting yet?

Ah, yes, he had got off of work early this day and (Y/N) completely forgot.

(Y/N): Not yet bro, why don't you go wait at home?

His brother Ross was there, being his sole housemate now ever since they had started moving away. The downside of being human, the balance of a whole other community hung on how many of you there were in any given place. Well, one of the downsides at any rate.

There was a lot of debate as to who would move on when you heard they would only move four of you at once. Seeing as you needed at least two capable people in each house, it only made sense you and your older brother had to stay. The two middle children never had it easy anyways.

Ross: Just let me in. You know Howard wouldn't mind.

(Y/N): Not a chance! It's called professionalism, and I'm pretty sure having guests over when housesitting isn't professional. I need to keep up my rep while I don't find something more permanent.

That's right. The past few weeks were filled with handing out resumes and applying to jobs, since their budget was really tight. Still, even if (Y/N) didn't get a well paying job, they just needed to be frugal for a while.

How much could go wrong in a short two months anyways?

Ross: I hate when you're right, but I'm also... *Gag* proud of you... oh that was painful.

That bastard was smirking at (Y/N). The nerve on that guy! (Y/N) knew that he still was telling the truth and was proud of everything they had done in the past few weeks. Despite Ross' best efforts to make this seem like a punishment for him, that is.

Ross: Speak of the devil! How's it going Howard?

Just a meter away was the owner of the house, and (Y/N)'s most steady employer so far. A well dressed man with neatly combed black hair.

Howard: Good afternoon to you too Ross, young (L/N). It goes well, I trust you feel the same?

(Y/N): I'll just get my bag and see myself out then boss.