2 || The Panel

Chapter 2: The Panel

My entire life hinged on this one moment.

Sitting in the waiting room at the administrative building, my mom comforting me as I patiently waited for what was to come. Sweat dripped down my face, my heart was a raging mess, body shaking. And as much as I’d love to make light of the situation, I knew this was dire.

I was going to walk into the panel and face a bunch of staffs, I knew I was going to cry the moment those words left the chancellor’s lips, “your scholarship has been sadly revoked.” All I’d ever worked for my entire life, I’d dreamt of finishing my degree and starting a lab, all that was going to crumble on this day.

I’d sadly found myself in a feud between two influential and powerful boxers and now, I was going to take the fall for Joey Malcolm.

“Don't worry honey, it’ll be okay,” my mom whispered, hugging me as she placed a kiss on my forehead.

Jennifer Maurice was the strongest woman I knew, she'd been through a lot when her dad, my grandfather, cut her out of his will after she married my dad but she bounced back up. Sometimes, I doubted I had that same determination.

I gave her a small smile, showing worry was only going to stress her more, I needed to handle this.

“Did you call your boyfriend?” she asked.

“Umm... No!” I nibbled on my cuticle, I didn't want to relive what had happened last night, not right now. I couldn't explain to her that Ashton and I were...

I didn't even know where we were. “It’s complicated.”

Almost like she could sense my unwillingness, she nodded but still shared a concerned look.

“Maddison Maurice?” I looked up to find the vice chancellor, one hand retrieving a pen from his iron pressed suit while he held unto a clipboard.

“That’s me.” I offered a nervous smile as I raised my hand.

He gestured for me to follow him. Mom stood along.

“Parents aren't allowed, Ma’am,” he said.

Mom frowned. “Excuse me? She's my daughter.”

“Those are the rules, ma’am.”

“Mom... It's fine.” I immediately chimed into the brewing argument, I didn't need the school to find a solid reason to revoke my scholarship which they were already doing unreasonably.

The vice chancellor led me to the next floor, a large hallway leading to an office, a huge sign labelled Disciplinary Panel stamped on the mahogany door. He opened the door, gesturing me to enter. I did, the door shutting behind me.

The first thing I caught was the gaze of Ms Mathers, the professor of my Electrical circuit class, then the HOD. They all sat around a circular U-shaped desk, their gazes on me as I stood in the centre.

“Unfortunately, the chancellor couldn't make it, he got held up,” the vice chancellor explained as he took a seat.

“Maddison Maurice, is that correct?” The Dean asked, looking over his circular framed glasses.

“Yes.” I nodded. I tried my best to swallow the stiff knot in my throat, anxiety and fear pulsing through me.

“I know her,” Ms Mathers said. “A smart girl... If only she'd come earlier to class.”

“Well, may we begin?”

The Dean retrieved a folder, passing around pictures to the staffs. I didn't need to see them, I knew exactly what they were, shots of me caught drunk at the bar. I bit back a shade of embarrassment just knowing these strangers were staring at me at my most vulnerable.