Chapter 20

After Maddy's mom emailed her signature, they were able to take Maddy back for her biopsy. Jungkook had to wait in the lobby this time. He tried not to think overly much about the possibility of her having cancer again. He had just met her, it would be too cruel for her to get cancer just as he was getting to know her. But he would be there for her, if she had to go through treatment again. At least he would be there as long as she would have him for. He still thought, in the back of his mind, that he was not good enough to be her friend. He knew that he and his brothers were trouble with a capital T. At some point, Jungkook was pretty sure he would do something that would turn her away from him.

When Maddy returned to the waiting room, Jungkook jumped up, opening his arms for a hug. He wasn't sure where she was hurt so he didn't squeeze her too tight. Maddy gratefully leaned into him and smelled his lovely vanilla, sandalwood smell. Then she told him about the procedure while they walked to the car.

"The nurse numbed the area with a cream, then a shot. Then the doctor made about a one centimeter incision and put a straw in through the hole. Then he inserted some tool and cut out a piece of the tumor and pulled it out through the straw. I could feel the tugging and pushing but it didn't hurt. Then he stitched me back up." She lifted up her shirt so he could see the piece of gauze taped to her abdomen just below her ribs on her right side. "They said they are hoping to have pathology done by Friday, but it may not be until next week." She yawned as they climbed into the car.

After they were settled with seatbelts on, Jungkook touched her cheek, "I really hope it is not cancer. I really don't want you to have to go through all that again."

Maddy smiled, "Thanks Kookie." He started the engine and headed towards home. "I wish you could stay over tonight but I'm pretty sure my mom is going to check on me every five minutes. Actually, with my dad gone, she will probably want to sleep in my room." Jungkook nodded his understanding. He would miss sleeping with her also.

Maddy yawned several more times as she watched out the window of the car and listened to Jungkook's relaxing playlist. It was starting to get dark out and the street lights were mesmerizing. Maddy fell asleep quickly. Jungkook reached under her seat and pushed a button that lowered the back of her seat a bit, making it more comfortable for her to rest.

Maddy slept the whole way home. Jungkook pulled up to her gate and turned off the car. He opened her door and unhooked her seatbelt. After throwing her backpack over his shoulder, he lifted her, bridal style, out of the car. She started to wake up a bit as he walked her to the front door. When she started squirming he said, "Shhh, Sweetness. Relax, I'm here." She rested her head against his chest and brought her arms up around his neck and relaxed. 

His rough appearance briefly ran though his mind as he rang the doorbell. Maddy's mom answered right away. Jungkook explained quickly so her mom wasn't scared at seeing him carry her daughter. "She fell asleep on the way home." 

"Oh, why don't you put her down on the couch." She closed the door and followed them into the living room. She did not miss the way Madison clung to Jungkook as he kneeled down and tried to lay her on the couch. 

"Your mom is here. I'll see you at school tomorrow, okay Maddy." In her sleepy state, he was just hoping she didn't say something incriminating about him staying over. 

But she didn't, she just nodded and kept her eyes closed, "Okay. Thanks, Kookie." 

He dropped a kiss onto her forehead even though her mom was there watching. He didn't feel like he could leave her without a forehead kiss. Especially since he had to go another night without sleeping with her.

When he stood up he was surprised to be grabbed into a hug by Maddy's mom. He awkwardly hugged her back as she said, "We are so grateful you were there with her today, Jungkook! I almost sent her by herself. You have no idea how much it means to us that you took care of our girl." He couldn't really remember being hugged by his mom, he wondered if mom hugs always felt this awkward or if they could be nice.