Chapter 9 - Let The Watchers Fight

I decided to take a stop by the bonfire before school starts. It's been a few days since I was last here, with the whole dark flame thing, and I feel like something's about to happen today. Not sure what, but I feel it.

I sat down in my usual area in front of the bonfire, and stared into it. So peaceful, always so welcoming... hm? What's that glint?

There's a strange glint of light in the fire, one different from that of a soul. It looks almost... metallic? I reached my hand into the fire and grabbed ahold of something round, before pulling it out of the flames.

"Another coiled sword?" What..."

The other one was still standing in the bonfire, flames dancing around it as always. As I sat in confusion, a voice appeared in my head.

"Set the sword alight."

What? Wait, who said that?

"Kindle a new flame."

What? What does that...

I thought about it for a second, before deciding to try something.

I walked a few dozen feet away, before lifting the sword up. I lowered it into the ground, and as it touched the grass, it began to smolder. I let it hover for a second, watching the smoke rise, before jamming the sword into the ground.

A blast of warmth came from the sword, nearly knocking me back. I stepped away and looked down at the coiled sword. At the base of the sword, a small flame burned, emanating that same warmth I've come to love.

I can make a new bonfire...

This is going to help a LOT. Well, not right here, I suppose.

I grabbed the hilt of the sword and pulled it from the ground. The flame disappeared from around it, leaving a small circle of black singed grass behind.

I put the sword on my back, not even noticing it disappear.

"For this next training, you'll be supervised by a 3-man team, consisting of me, All Might, and someone else."

"Wait, what are we even doing?"

"To be the hero everybody needs, you're gonna need to know more than just punching the bad guys. Which is why we're doing rescue training today."

Rescue training? Nice! Hope nothing bad happens, like with that media break-in earlier today.

Why do I feel like I just jinxed myself?

"Don't get ahead of yourselves. Now, it's entirely up to you whether you want to wear your hero costumes. Some of them aren't designed with this situation in mind, after all. The training area's a bit far away, so we'll be getting there by bus. That's all."

We headed out to the bus, and Iida was barking out orders already. Man, he really takes his job seriously! It's just class rep, not the emperor or something!

"Hey Midoriya, I've got a few questions for you."

"Huh? What is it, Asui?"

"Call me Tsu. Well, first off, how did you get that strong? Your scores in the apprehension test were higher than what most world-class athletes could achieve across the board, and yet according to Mr. Aizawa, you didn't even use your quirk. How on earth did you do that, then?"

Ah, these types of questions. Should've expected them sooner, honestly.

How to word this to make it believable... That should work.

"Well, it's simple, really. While my strength does technically come from my quirk, it isn't dependent on it. The strength would remain, even if my quirk was completely erased. As for how I got it, I trained myself to death and back. I trained in ways that could genuinely kill you. I was scrawny and weak in middle school, but over the 10 months between then and the start of this school year, I pushed myself to the brink of death so many times that my strength grew and grew, and it's still growing."