A Friendly Face

The day drug on slowly, chaos filling the entire stadium as preparations were being made for the second concert of the week. Just like normal, I was being run around in every which direction. Usually, I would put down any angry or upset feelings, but today was just not a good day. Everyone could obviously tell that I was in a bad mood, so most of them tried not to make me any more mad or stressed than I already was.

I was sitting in the make-up department, trying to take a breather from everything, when I glanced down at my phone and saw that I had a new message. I opened it up and saw that it was from Alyssa. I didn't fully realize it, but a smile had formed across my face for the first time the whole day. She told me that Adam was going out for a few hours and that her parents were out of town, so she was wondering if she could come and meet me early before my soundcheck. I immediately agreed and said to meet me at the backstage door. She replied with a thumbs up, and our plan was in motion.

About fifteen minutes after the last message was sent, I made my way to the backstage door and discreetly walked out. I moved towards the end of the alley and peeked out, trying to see if the paparazzi were still looking for a scoop. Luckily for me, they seemed to be distracted by something else and were scattered across the street. I waited and watched for Alyssa, hoping the journalists didn't see me. Finally, I saw her form walking down the street and I quickly waved to grab her attention. She saw me and smiled before picking up her pace to get to me. She made it to the alleyway entrance, and before she could say anything to me, I grabbed her hand and darted back inside, pulling her with me. Her laugh filled my ears along the way before we finally stopped at the door.

"Couldn't wait to dodge the press, could you?"

I rolled my eyes with a smirk, "It's technically not dodging if they don't know you're there."

She laughed again and smiled brightly. "Ok, fine. Now, can we go in?"

I grinned back and nodded, "Yeah, come on! If I'm quick enough, I can get you to the green room without anyone seeing."

I opened the door and we stepped inside. We quietly snuck down the hallways and avoided the crew members to the best of our abilities. Once we made it to the green room, I gently pushed Alyssa inside and said that I would be right back. I tracked down Matt and told him that I had an important video interview to do and that I would be in the green room. I also made it very clear that I didn't want him or anyone else bothering me. He agreed and said that he would make sure no one goes in or out. I thanked him and took off back to the room.

"That was fast," Alyssa said as I came back.

"Yeah, I've gotten pretty good at telling a lie, if I'm honest. Not saying that I enjoy lying, but sometimes it is a little necessary."

She giggled again, "Well, at least you don't enjoy it."

"Yeah," I said softly before looking back up at her and smiling small. It felt good to see and hear from a friendly face after the day I've had. I haven't heard from Adam or Dex, so it was nice to see at least one of my friends.

Alyssa noticed the strained look on my face and her features contorted into worry, "Are you okay, Oliver? You don't look too good."

Keeping the little smile on my face, I reached up and rubbed the back of my neck, "Yeah, I'm fine. It's just been a long day."

Her head tilted to the side, I could tell that she knew that I wasn't telling the whole truth.

"What happened?"

I don't know why, but I felt the need to tell her. Like, If I don't then it'll become another thing I keep bottled up. I sighed and fell back onto the couch, draping my hands over my knees. I felt the space next to me dip down, signaling that Alyssa was now beside me.

"Tell me. What's up?"

I finally relented and told her everything. All the drama with my parents, everyone basically avoiding me because of my mood and being run around, which was normal, but it still made everything worse. She sat soundlessly next to me, taking in every word without criticizing. When I finished my rant, I looked up to see her giving me and small, kind smile.

"I'm sorry that today has been so rough on you. You know that you could have texted me, or Adam, or Dex, we would have helped." 

I shook my head, "I try to not bother my friends whenever they're busy. I guess I'm so used to it that it doesn't come to mind anymore."

Alyssa gave me a sad look, but I could tell that there was anger mixed in as well.

"What's that look for?"

"It just...," she sighed angrily, "Makes me upset to know that it's come to this point for you. Dex, Adam, and I are your friends! You should know that you can come to us at any time! We will always help you!"

I smiled at her kindness. It was sweet that she cares about her friends so much. I'm so grateful to have gotten to know and become friends with a truly amazing person.

I released a light, dry chuckle, "I promise that the next time I'm upset or overwhelmed, you or one of the boys will be the first I call."

"Good! You know that we're there for you, don't think you're alone, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks, Aly."

"Of course," she smiled.

Before another thought could enter my brain, she wrapped her arms around my neck and hugged me tightly. I was startled by the action, but I ultimately melted into her embrace. I wrapped my arms around her waist and squeezed her back just as tight. It's been so long since I've had a hug this comforting. I don't think I've ever felt this relaxed before. After a minute, I pulled away, immediately missing the warmth she gave off.

"Now that that's out of the way," I started, "I've got an idea."

"What is it?" she asked, her eyes followed me as I stood up and held my hand out to her.

"As thanks for listening and helping me, I want to take you on a tour of everything backstage. What do you say? You in for a little exploring?"

Her eyes lit up and her smile widened. She lifted her hand and clasped mine, pulling herself to her feet. She squeezed my hand with a resolute nod.

"Let's do it!"