Chapterish 68

HAPPY TRIX AND TRAVIS DAY

The first person I see on the pool patio is Travis's smoking hot cousin, Vin. I remember him from the weekend in the Poconos. I pass by him and inhale a vague pot aroma.

"Hi guys," I say, announcing my presence.

"Hey."

"Morning Emmy—"

"Get breakfast?"

Meg is still swimming laps in her neon yellow bikini, Nate watching her from the shallow end. Brody is talking to Travis's cousin Jack, whose girlfriend Cam is in an intense conversation with Whit.

Johnny and Sara are also here, eating breakfast burritos at the outdoor bar. I barely talked to any of them at the rehearsal dinner last night and they all went out afterwards.

Vin cannonballs into the deep end, splashing Brody and Brooks's backs. I look up right when Brooks turns around to look at the pool. I quickly divert my eyes to Vin, emerging from the water. Meg was right.

He is fine as hell. I guess I didn't notice before. I blame my Brooks-colored glasses.

"Where's Trix?" Meg asks, swimming up to the ledge.

"Bridal hair blow-out." Obvi.

"Right," Meg nods.

I sit down at the pool and let my feet hang in the water. Here we all are, lounging poolside and carefree and shit. Hard to think in just a few hours we'll all be glammed up and fancied out.

I lay back onto a cushion from the chaise lounge. So ready to catch some last minute rays.

"So." Meg looks at me and then at Brooks. "Saw you two come out together."

"We were just walking," I say, shrugging.

"From?"

"We ran into each other on the stairs, thank you. Mega weird." I shrug. "I'm 95% sure there was a girl in his room."

"No, stop!" Meg says, her eyes wide. "Zero chance. I don't see anyone else here."

I shrug it off, but still do a once over of the pool patio. There's definitely no one here who doesn't belong. In fact, now everyone is on the pool deck besides the bride.

"Wedding shots?" Someone shouts.

I turn to see Alex emerging from behind the bar, carrying zero shot glasses but three different bottles of flavored booze.

"It's 8:15 in the morning!" Travis points out.

"Yea, 8:15 in the morning on your wedding day, dude!" Alex shouts, spitting his tongue out.

He starts pouring the lime green labeled bottle directly  into Nate's mouth. Casual.

This is going to be an absolute shit show, so why do I already want a lime green shot?

"Okay, take it easy. Can't have you get plastered too soon," Travis says.

"Yea. Save it for tonight," Brooks says, grinning. Goddamn that grin. I have to silently remind myself it's not for me anymore.

"Nothing wrong with a little day buzz," I say in Alex's defense, taking extra precautions not to look at Brooks.

"For that," Alex says, strolling over to me. "You get the next shot."

I let my head hang back as Alex stands over me, silhouetted by the sunlight. Lime green splashes on my lips.

I spend the next hour or so absentmindedly staring at Brook's Edge Clothing sweats, the stupid mountain peaks drawing my attention right to his hips. Meg was right –I definitely don't see anyone else join us at the pool.

Brooks finally leaves and returns in swim trunks –bringing a matching stripped suit for Travis. I refrain from swimming, but don't refrain from enjoying the views.

The view:
Smoking hot guys with too good to be real bods chasing each other through the pool like they're in high school again. And Meg.

Alex has abandoned the green bottle for a questionable purple one. Well, its contents are questionable, but that doesn't stop Nate from almost chugging the whole thing.

"Happy Trix and Travis Day!" Nate slurs.

"To Trix and Travis!" Alex echoes.

"T & T!" Brooks screams.

Meg rolls her eyes and starts wrestling the bottle from Nate's hands. He's one swig away from passing out on the steps in the shallow end.

Sara and Cam sit at the glass table with me.

"Hey Em," Sara says, handing me a fresh colada.

"Hey, thanks." I bring the drink to my lips, but my stomach lurches at the smell of coconut and rum.

"This is by far the best wedding weekend I've ever been to," Cam says, sipping on her own mimosa.

"Right? And look at this fucking castle. What on earth do Travis's parents do?" Sara agrees.

"Wealth management, clearly," I say, sarcastic. "Or maybe something Cartel."

I barely pay attention to them laughing.

"Definitely cartel." Cam laughs.

"Whatever it is. This place is sick. And we have all day to lounge," Sara says.

"Only 9:27 AM," Cam says, clicking on her phone.

"When do you have to start getting ready?" Sara asks.

"Um," I sigh, running over a million things in my mind. Shower, blow out my hair. Then updos and makeup sessions start at 11 AM. Then the bridesmaids' pictures. Then dressing Trix.

"Now actually," I say, standing up, happy for an excuse to put my untouched piña colada down.

I walk over to the pool's edge and kick water at Meg, who's floating upside down. Droplets splash against her Ray-Bans.

"Hey! What!" She squeals.

"Should prob start getting ready." I shrug.

"What time's it?" Meg mumbles.

"Almost 9:30."

"You're right! Trix is gonna kill us if we're late," Meg says, hopping from the water. I toss a towel at her face.

"And maybe hide the liquor from these two," I say, tossing my head at Alex and Nate. "Last thing we need is a passed out best man."

"He's fine," Meg laughs. She throws a pool noodle at Alex to get his attention. "Hey, no more colored shots! And don't let him drown."

We leave the pool behind, and I steal a quick glance at Brooks as we do so, very aware this may be the last time I see him before we queue up at the aisle.