Tips for fast drafting

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the ONC is all about timing

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the ONC is all about timing. The milestones all have submission deadlines, and the whole contest (aside from the final judging period) takes place in a mere 13 weeks! To finish your novella of 20-40k words, you're going to need to learn how to fast draft.

If you haven't done this or established a fast drafting process, here are the top five things that can help.

Know your deadlines and daily word counts
The ONC makes this really easy with the milestones and when you need to submit by. Use this to your advantage and take it a step further by counting out the days between deadlines and use that number to divide how many words you have to write each day (if you were to write the minimum 20,000 words, this totals out to 224 words a day. 40,000 words would be twice that, at 448) to meet your overall goal. This will give you a bite-sized, micro-goal for word count that you can then use to keep yourself motivated and moving forward. Remember to also give yourself a little leeway just in case you have an off day or miss the chance to write all together.

Plan out your novella as much as possible
You don't want to get stuck midway through and never finish. Making sure you have a plan (whether it's detailed or brief) will help keep you on track. Try to include a few extra solutions or options in these outlines so if your first idea doesn't work out, you have backups that you don't have to waste time thinking-up mid contest.

Stick to your routine
Establishing a writing routine can be hard, but you're going to need one for the ONC if you hope to finish. Knowing what you need ahead of time (location, supplies, time, your trigger, etc.) will ensure you have less to worry about and can focus on your story. Get all of these things set-up in your space before you start, and make sure the environment you're in or the time you write at is consistent for maximum efficiency.

Try word sprints
Word sprints are specific amount of time during which you focus specifically on writing as many words as possible. The rules are basically no distractions, no stopping, and no editing! The goal is to write as much as you can within the given time frame whether it's five minutes or twenty minutes. You can do these alone or with other writers on YouTube or Ohwrite.co to add public-pressure and keep yourself accountable.

Use placeholders if you must
Whether you put in "___" or "xxx" for a word, name, or place you can't think of, or use brackets to identify where you're going to come back and finish a scene, placeholders are a great way to keep up momentum. Be warned though, they can come back to haunt you in the editing phase when you have to go back and address them. My advice? Try to use them sparingly.

I hope at least one of these tips help you in your drafting process. Happy drafting!