chapter 16

"Mama!"

You sighed. "Mama!" How could she call you at the worst possible moment? What about the spark Bruno spoke of? "I know you wanted to spend more time in the.. hole in the wall, but you'd be overstaying your welcome. We're not Madrigals. We can't stay."

Not unless you asked them if you could. Your family's rule was such that we would never ask for anything and be hospitable for everyone. A little dumb sometimes, if someone were to ask you.  But hey, it was just a family thing. Groaning, you dragged your feet along the sidewalk. "Also, what on earth did you do? You're all dusty!" Mom dusted off your skirt with a hand.

"I went through a hole in a wall. Clearly, walls are dusty." You sneezed from the dust. "Ay, míja." She stroked your hair. Has your hair ever been this greasy? Gross. You definitely needed another bath after this. And maybe you should snag some ingredients from the kitchen for a facial mask. "I'm glad you found some friends." She planted a kiss on your bumpy forehead, which earned her an annoyed grunt from you. "Mama, not on my pimples!"

She laughed. "How about doing those face cream thingies you always do? We can make it together!"

You smiled and nodded.

Camilo

"This is certainly a mystery." Tio Agustin poked and prodded at him, who was still stuck as Mirabel. "Camilo, are you certain you can't change back?" He groaned. They asked that like, four times. Perhaps a demonstration was in order. He tried to shift back into himself and then—

Something sputtered and he turned back into Mirabel. Isabela laughed at his attempt. Rude. "Don't laugh, Isa!" He grumbled. Isabela just grew a vine to hit him lightly on the head. "Ow!"

Just then, in the corner of his eye, he saw his mother running towards him. "My baby!" Oh no.

His mother embraced him in relief. "Ah, you're not hurt." She had a cloud of rain over her, and it got on him. "Pepa, amor, your rain got on him." She exclaimed and moved back. "It's okay." He said.

Camilo felt less bothered by his strange family now though. Instead, he found his mind drifting over to what happened. That Y/N... She was fun.