Chapter 38 | Escape

Goodbye, Grace Field House. Goodbye...the house we loved so much.

A boy sat against the big tree in the yard. The gentle afternoon breeze blew through his purple hair. A butterfly landed on his finger as he hummed a tune. A rustling was heard from above and a girl popped down. Her long brown hair in a braid.

"That's such a nice melody." The girl said.

"ISABELLA!" The boy exclaimed in surprise.

Isabella swung down from the tree and sat down beside him.

"I was climbing the tree when I heard a beautiful song, so I... I'm sorry." She apologies with a small smile.

"You startled me..." The boy sighed.

He held his hand on his chest, feeling his heart race from the startle he was given.

"So what's the name of that song?" Isabella asked him.

The boy looked down at his lap.

"It doesn't have a name. I didn't name it." He replied.

The girl's eyes widened. "You composed it Leslie?!"

"Yeah..." Leslie trailed off, sounding a bit embarrassed.

"That's amazing!" Isabella praised. "Let me hear more of it!"

"Huh?"

Leslie looked at her in surprise, being met with a large smile. Leslie blushed and turned away from her, smiling.

"Okay... But don't tell everyone else. I'd be embarrassed." He said.

Isabella nodded and Leslie began to hum the melody again. After a bit, Isabella had gotten a hang of the rhythm and hummed along with him. Closer by the house, a brown haired girl stood, holding an infant in her arms. She glanced over at the tree and smiled at the scene of her friends. A woman walked up to the girl, a baby in her arms.

"Melissa, would you help me put the babies down for their naps?" The woman asked.

Melissa looked up at the woman and smiled.

"Of course, Mama." She said,

***

"I loved everything. I loved Leslie. I loved Melissa. I loved the house. I loved..."

***

Isabella stood atop of the wall. Her eyes wide and a blank expression on her face as she stared at the cliff below. There was no escape. Her Mama stood on the ground, a hand up and beckoning Isabella to return to the ground. That night, she sat in her bed late at night, fiddling with the necklace Melissa had given her the day she was "adopted" and humming the song Leslie had taught her. Tears welled in her eyes at the memory of her two dear friends.

***

Isabella now stood in front of a demon inside of the gate. It was her shipment day. She accepted the offer to become a Mama and was taken into headquarters for training. Everyday she did various tests, her days were the same for years. Now as an adult, she had to bear a child. She sat on the bed in her assigned room, lightly rubbing her swollen stomach and humming the song she had learned as a kid. The chain of her necklace peaked out from her collar.