Chapter 39 | Forest of Vows

"We can't find them. We suspect they are already outside the farm."

The voice of a demon rang through the intercoms. Isabella stood in front of Grandma who was glaring at her.

"Six low grade, three average, two good, two fine...and four highest grade! A total of 17 of them. What a tremendous loss. And what a blunder, 73584! How did this happen? This isn't like you. How could this...you are...you should have..." Grandma trailed off.

"No. I take full responsibility." Isabella said.

***

"We confirmed footsteps along the northern bank. Send a party after them at once! And notify everyone in the vicinity. We've had the highest grade product escape. The highest grade of our top farm. Whoever can capture them alive...or even dead, will be rewarded handsomely." A demon said.

***

Emma held a compass in her hand and looked up at the sky. Sunlight was barely shining through the leaves of the large trees. The children were walking now and admiring their surroundings. The faint sound of birds chirping could be heard overhead.

"It's so big..." Don marvelled at the trees.

"Wow... So this is what the outside is like? A primaeval forest? It's a completely different forest from where we came from. It's huge. Even bigger than what I've seen in pictures and drawings. What is this? I've never seen anything like it in the books at the house. I thought we could estimate our location from the terrain and weather, but... It might be tough. Where exactly are we?" Ray wondered.

He looked back quickly when he saw something out of the corner of his eye.

"Was it my imagination? I thought something moved." He thought.

Their were large roots on the ground, fitting for the humongous trees in the area. The younger kids were having some trouble getting over them so (Y/n), Don and Maiko were helping them cross over them.

"Watch your step." Maiko said as she helped Alicia over a root.

She glanced back at the other children. Some were yawning and panting. Their pace was clearly slowing.

"Our pace is slowing. They're tired. Not to mention how the ground is covered in these large roots..." She thought.

(Y/n) walked over to Emma.

"Emma." She called.

The orange haired girl nodded.

"Yeah."

She turned to the younger kids and smiled.

"Guys! Let's take a break. We should eat breakfast." She said,

The kids cheered. The group had found an area in a large hole under one of the trees. Maiko was sitting with the younger ones along with Don and Gilda. Emma was standing out and keeping watch.

"Don't eat everything all at once. A little at a time. We should try to stretch out the food and water we brought with us." Gilda told the kids.

Chris came running over to Emma.

"Emma, aren't you eating with us?" He asked.