Chapter 42 | Attack

Emma noticed something out of the corner of her eyes and looked behind her.

"What was that?" She wondered.

She immediately dashed towards the area and the others looked at her in confusion.

"Emma?!" (Y/n) called after her.

When Emma reached the area, her eyes widened when nothing was there.

"There's nothing there. Was it my imagination?" She wondered.

Alicia and Yvette stared down the hole that they had climbed out of.

"So the roots are weak against the cold?" Alicia questioned aloud.

"That's why they stopped moving." Yvette said.

"It's so cold here." Mark said, pulling up his scarf.

"Yeah. Colder than where we fell." Rossi agreed, shivering.

"It's the same forest, but the temperature is different." Dominic pointed out.

"Yeah." Anna agreed, looking up. "Maybe because there's no sunlight coming in."

"Even so, it's really cold." Dominic shivered.

"So then...as long as we're on this cold ground where there's no sunlight, we have no fear of getting attacked by those roots and falling underground?" Gilda questioned.

"Probably." Maiko nodded.

"Well, then! I'm glad it's winter! Or we could've been eaten!" Don said happily.

Nat held the novel in his hands and was looking over the pages.

"Actually..." Nat then turned the book so Don could look at it, he pointed at a specific sentence. "...seems like the hole doesn't open up unless it's winter. The book says that Alvapinera is a legendary cave that one can only enter in winter."

Don immediately grabbed the book and read over the sentence with wide eyes and a dumbstruck smile frozen on his face. Gilda walked up and gave him a comforting pat on the shoulder.

"It would have been better if it wasn't winter." She said,

"But thanks to that, we found out just how unpredictable the outside is and what this book means." Emma said.

Don flipped through the pages of the book.

"A guidebook, eh?"

"Yeah. Hidden in the story are various hints on how to survive the outside. The enemy's weakness. And-"

"Emma! (Y/n)! Maiko! Found it! This is it!" Ray called out.

The others quickly rushed over to Ray and he gestured to an odd looking group of plants. The kids stared at them in confusion.

"Uh...what's this?" Nat asked.

"Water." Ray replied.

The kids all stared in shock.

"What?" They exclaimed.