Chapter 13: Thank God She's Home

Xander Stone

Her mom, Tony and Rose are waiting at home for us. I was tasked with picking up Stella from the hospital. Right now, she's signing her discharge paperwork, and I have her bag. Solaris is in his kennel, which is on the bed waiting for her to finish the paperwork. When she gets done, we leave the hospital with everything, bag, kennel, my Star. We get in my truck, I start it up, back out of the parking lot and heads home.

We reached home, and get out. I grabbed the bag, Solaris's kennel, and we walked inside. "Y'all, we're home!" they come out, and hug Stella. Ms. Knight asked what took so long, and I point to the pineapple mango smoothie is Stella's hand. She smiles and laughs, "Well were having pizza delivered in an hour or two. Y'all can hand down to her room and unpack, and let Solaris out. Especially since he doesn't look very happy." Ms. Knight says. I nod, get Stella's attention, and head point to her door. She nods and starts heading that way, we go downstairs, and I drop the bag by her laundry while she lets out Solaris. I see her pick him up, walk over to her bed and pets him. I walk over and sit next to Stella. "How are you feeling, baby?" I ask her, she leans her head on my shoulder before responding. "I'm a little scared to go back to classes tomorrow, but I know I have you, Rose, Tony, and the rest of the team looking out for me. I'm afraid of what they'll call me. In high school, they called me 'Cancer Girl,' and I don't want to be called that again." She tells me. I wrap my arms around her and kiss her head, "No one will call you anything, besides your name. Based at what the team and coach says, everyone at school supports you and loves you. Even in the short time you've been there. I'll walk with you to class along side Rose and Tony." I tell her, she nods her head against my shoulder. I lay her down and hold her till she falls asleep. Solaris is laying behind her legs, while her arms are around my waist, and I drift off to sleep too.

I feel someone continually poking my head. Whoever is doing that is about to get hit. I peek my left eye open and smack Tony hand. "Oh good, you're awake. Pizza is here, mom sent me down to get y'all." He told me. I shoo him off, holding up my hand for five minutes. I look down at Stella, and starts to kiss all over her face. She stirs, opens her eyes looking at me, and smiles at me. I lean down and peck her lips and pull away. "Pizza is here baby. Come on." I tell her, and we get up. We head upstairs, while Stella is yawning a little. I rub her back, as were sitting down at the kitchen table. I get her pizza and set it down, grabbing the seat next to her.

During dinner, I kept looking at Stella to check on her, but she seems to be doing okay. Her mom kept looking, along with Tony and Rosemary. We're all really worried about her since her chemo has stopped, and she's really weak.

I looked over at her while she was eating, and her arms were shaking a little bit. She's smiling the entire time to try and hide it, but we all see it. Ms. Knight got everyone's favorite pizza. Tony and I got our barbeque chicken, Stella got her spinach alfredo, Rosemary got her cheese, and Ms. Knight got her weird Hawaiian pizza. For drinks we all got sprite as it's the only soda Stella will drink. I lean over pecking Stella's forehead, and she has a small soft smile on her face.

After dinner I carried Stella back down to her room, so she could shower. I offered to help, but she said she could do it. Fifteen minutes later, she exits her bathroom in her pajamas. "Umm, baby can you go get me a band-aid from upstairs. My razor dropped on my toe, and it sliced it open just a bit." Stella asked in a timid and quiet voice. I picked her up and carried her over to her bed, setting her down. I run upstairs to the kitchen, into the medicine cabinet, and grabs a band-aid. "What happened?" Rosemary asks. I tell her, and she snatches the band-aid from me rushing downstairs. I follow, and when I get down there Rosemary has some bloody paper towels around her, and the band-aid on Stella's foot. Rosemary has some tears in her eyes, and Stella has her arm around Rosemary. What the fuck did I walk into? "Everything okay in here?" I ask calmly. They both looked at me like the I just scared them and nodded. They're definitely hiding something. Rosemary hugs her and talk quietly to her before getting up and going back upstairs to her room.

I asked what that was about, but got no answer. One day, I hope Stella tells me. Stella lays down, closes her eyes and goes to sleep. Solaris jumps and lays next to her legs. I get out of my pants and takes off my shirt and get in next to her. I cuddle Stella and close my eyes going to sleep.