Chapter One: You Want Me to What Now?

Friday, May 28th

Taehyung can't believe it. His parents must be insane to think he'd go through with what they've just asked of him. To give up his freedom as a single man for the future of their family business. It must be some sort of sick joke. He checks the date on his smartwatch to make sure it's not April 1st. It's not.

"Are you fucking serious?" Taehyung paces back and forth in his father's home office, a hand racking through his dark, fluffy hair.

"Taehyung, language please." His mother says as she takes a sip from her wine glass.

Taehyung lets out a laugh that sounds more like a high-pitched huff. "You want me to get married? Just so I can take over the fucking company that I don't even want." He rolls his eyes and walks over to the small bar to pour himself a drink. He throws back a shot of whatever he picked up, the amber liquid burning its way down his throat.

"What did your mother just say about your language?" His father sits back in his desk chair and gives Taehyung a look that says not to argue. Taehyung ignores it. He's never really listened to his father except for that one time he talked him out of a bad investment with some shady people.

"How come I have to get married and take over the company? Why not Namjoon Hyung? Why can he run off and live his life but I'm chained here? It's fucking bullshit."

"TAEHYUNG!" His father shouts, slamming a hand on the desk and making both Taehyung and his mother flinch. His father never yells, he's very rarely seen him angry, even as a kid. "Watch your fucking language, please." He sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose, collecting his thoughts before he speaks again. "You know I don't approve of whatever your brother is doing. It was his duty as the eldest to take over the company but instead, he decided to run off with that gold digger. Why do you think he doesn't get anything from us anymore? He's a disgrace to this family."

Taehyung snorts. "He's really not. He's a genius to get out when he could." He pours himself another drink and sits on the couch next to his mother. "Even though I'm pissed at him for leaving."

"Yeah, well, enough about your brother." He waves his hand dismissively. "We need to discuss details about this marriage."

"Right. I suppose I'll have to marry some snobby, rich daughter of one of your associates?"

"Actually, no-." His father starts.

"Good, because I'd refuse." He cuts him off. "If I'm going to do this, it's under the condition that I marry a man." He sees from the corner of his eye how his mother stiffens at his words. She's never accepted his sexuality. His father, on the other hand, is perfectly fine with both of his sons not being straight. "Oh come on mother, you knew this would happen one day. I can still give you the grandchildren you so desperately want." He skulls the rest of his drink and places the glass on the coffee table with a loud clunk.

"That's not what I'm worried about. I know you'll give me grandbabies no matter what." She places her own now empty glass on the coffee table and looks at her husband. "I think now is the perfect time to tell him."

"Tell me what?" Taehyung looks back and forth between his parents. His father looks down at his hands clasped in front of him.

"Well, we already have someone for you."

"What?" He lets out another huff. "You mean I don't even get to choose my own husband? The person I'll be with for God knows how long. What the actual fuck?"

"I'm sorry son but my hands are tied with this. I made a promise and I intend to keep it." He clears his throat. "Do you remember Min Yejun?"

"Your friend from high school? The one that just passed away?"