20

A few days later between Christmas and New Years when no one really knows what day it is, Max returned home to Monaco after spending a week in Brazil.

He dropped his bags, Kelly and Penelope off at the apartment before heading over to see Anna with another present for her in tow.

Naturally he had given her her presents before he left for Brazil but after feeling guilty for being away, Max went and bought her another present in hope of making up.

He knocked on her door and waited for an answer with the bag in his hand. A few seconds later the door opened and Max walked inside pulling his best friend into a hug straight away.

She was surprised as her feet were lifted off the ground and arms were tightly wrapped around her waist. The smell of a familiar cologne told her who was hugging her.

"Hey. How was Brazil?" Anna asked with a smile as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

After a few minutes of hugging, Max placed the brown haired girl back on the ground. He closed the door behind him before the two walked further into her apartment.

"It was great. Although it was weird spending Christmas in somewhere were it is always sunny." Max explained as they said walked into the kitchen.

"What's in the bag?" Anna wondered as she stepped forward trying to see inside.

"Hey. Don't be so nosy. How do you even know it's for you?" Max questioned as he held the bag up in the air and out of her reach.

"Who else would you bring a present for to my apartment?" Anna replied crossing her arms over her chest. She stared at Max for a moment before reaching forward quickly and grabbing the back. "Ha."

"Bitch." Max told her as he watched her open the bag and teach in to reveal the box.

"Max." Anna spoke in a warning tone of voice as she looked at the small white and gold box with a familiar shop name on it.

"Open it." The Red Bull driver said with a smile.

"Oh my god." Anna gasped placing a hand over her mouth in shock after opening the box. "You remembered?"

"Of course I did. I told you if I ever won a world championship I'd get you the ring." Max spoke with a smile on his face.

Back in 2015 during Max's season with Toro Rosso, the pair had went for a walk in Brazil during the Grand Prix weekend and came across a little jewellery shop.

Anna's eye was immediately drawn to a small silver banded ring with a diamond in the middle and two smaller sapphires on either side.

The price was crazy so Anna simply window shopped. Max saw her fascination with the ring and promised her if he ever won a world championship he would get her the ring she so desperately wanted.

But naturally being 17 years old, Anna half believed his promise and never thought of it again. Even when Max won in Abu Dhabi the thought still never entered her mind until now when he gifted her with the box.

"Oh my god." Anna said as she left the box down on the counter top before walking over and wrapping her arms around his neck. "Thank you so much but you know you didn't have to do this."

"I don't break promises now do I?" Max told her after hugging her in reply.

After they pulled apart, Max reached over and grabbed the box. He took the ring from inside before taking her hand in his and spilling it onto her ring finger on her right hand.

"Thank you Max." Anna said with a smile as she examined the ring on her hand.

Max watched her with a wide smile on her face. She continued to run her finger over the stones while Max just watched her actions.

—————

That evening after spending the day with Anna, Max returned back to his own apartment to find Kelly sitting on the couch after getting off the phone.

"Great you're back." Kelly exclaimed as she stood up smiling. "Pack your bag. We're going to Miami."

"What?" Max asked in surprise.

"We're going to Miami for New Years." Kelly spoke as she placed her hands on his arms.

"And who decided this?" Max wondered as he took a step back from her.

"I did. Well me and the girls, everyone is going." Kelly explained referring to herself and her friends, and by everyone she meant their friend group in Monaco.

"And what if I didn't want to?" The Red Bull driver asked crossing his arms over his chest.

"Why wouldn't you wanna come?" Kelly questioned.

"Because we just spent Christmas in Brazil. Did you ever think about what I wanna do for once?" Max spoke.

"And what do you wanna do Max, huh?" Kelly wondered crossing her arms over her chest and looking over at him.

"I don't know but I'm not going to Miami." Max said simply before walking towards the bedroom

"So what are we gonna do then?" Kelly asked as she followed behind him

"I didn't say you couldn't go. Go. Go spend time with your friends. But I will not be there." Max explained as he took off his jumper and threw it onto the bed.

"You're gonna make me go on my own? Do you know what everyone will think if I go alone?" The Brazilian said.

"I'm not making you do anything Kelly. You don't have to go either but I'm not gonna stop you if you do." Max explained.

"Fine then. And where are you gonna spend New Years?" Kelly wondered as she placed her hands on her hips.

"I have a few ideas." Max said simply before taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

Without saying another word, Kelly left the room and slammed the door behind her. Max was glad Penelope was with Daniil or she definitely would be awake right now.

Once Kelly was gone, Max reached into the pocket of his sweatpants and grabbed his phone. He immediately started to look up flights as he decided where he wanted to spend New Years and with who.