Part-35

TW: Child Abuse/Harassment

————
"He is the watchman, baba."
Ayaan's heart thumped loudly. 'No. I am just overthinking.'
"W-what does he say to you?"

"He says he loves me." She whispered in her dad's ear. Ayaan felt his heart drop.
"A–and?" Words came out like a whisper.

"He kisses me and says he loves me. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable when he touches me because it is at the wrong place but when I say do not touch, he says he loves me and gives me chocolates. I don't say no because he loves me baba, just like you and Hoor phupho love me and kiss me because you all love me..." Momal continued, breaking her baba's heart into countless pieces. The world stopped, his heart stopped, everything stopped for him as his eyes wandered over his daughter's innocent face who was smiling and asking him if she was cute because her guard uncle said she is cute and he loves her cuteness.
"...He tells me not to tell anyone..."

"Tell me baba, I'm cute na?"

"Yes. I'll be back, momi. We'll do it later."
He whispered and stood up. He went to his room and sat on his bed. His eyes wandered around the room.

In a few moments, he was crying his heart out. The last time he cried like this was when his wife, his love, Momina died while giving birth to Meerub. That day he cried holding his daughter, Momal, who was asking him to take her to her mom.
He was sitting on the floor, his back touching the bed and his head in his hands.

"Momal, baba ki jaan I am sorry. Why did I not take care of you when I was supposed to? Why did I grieve for Momina so much that I forgot I have her two daughters, her memories? I had you two but I didn't take care of you guys. I could not protect my daughter." He sobbed and opened his mobile. The wallpaper was a 2 year old Momal, laughing on the beach. He placed his lips on the screen and tears fell on it too.
(...Baba's world....)

"Ya Allah main kiu uska khyal nahi rakh saka? Wo toh bahut choti hai, uspe koi kaisy gandi nazar daal sakta hai? Wo bht masoom hai, usay agr iska mtlb pata chala toh iski shakhsyat pe bht bura asar paryga." He wiped his eyes.
(Ya Allah why couldn't I take care of her? She is so small, how can someone lay lustful gaze on her? She's very innocent, if she comes to know the meaning behind it, it will badly affect her personality a-lot.)

He took deep breaths to calm himself and then went to the washroom. He washed his face and came back to the lounge where they both were sitting and playing. Momal looked up and smiled at him. Her smile made his heart clench but he gave a small smile.
"Baba, are you okay?" Momal asked when she saw his red nose and red eyes.
"Yes, baba's fine." He started making the cards with her, with a heavy heart.

"Momal, you did not tell me about your party? What kind of party was it supposed to be?"

"Umm...I was supposed to meet him after school and he said he'll give me gifts." Ayaan clenched his jaw as tears again made its way to his eyes. He closed his eyes. What could have happened if he hadn't made his daughter stay home that day by spending the day with her?

———————————

"Baba, why is this uncle going to school with me?" Momal looked at the man who was sitting on the back seat with Arsalan while she sat on the front passenger seat.

"He's my friend. He has some important work there." Momal nodded and started looking out. She was wearing a green simple full sleeves frock that reached below her knees with black tights since it was a parent teacher meeting and not a regular school day. The car stopped in front of the school gate.

"Momal, let's go inside. I'll meet your teacher and your friends, give cards and then at last we'll give it to watchman uncle." Ayaan held her hand and went inside the school. There was something in his eyes that made the watchman shudder as he checked him before letting him enter. Momal smiled at the watchman.