𝘛𝘦𝘯 - 𝘚𝘭𝘰𝘢𝘯

• • •

Focus. I need to focus.

This is the first game of the season. A snapshot of what my future could look like. Ronan has been helping me study for the last week and he can simplify the things that I struggle with. He helps me to understand it and apply it to our line of work.

It makes me grateful to have such a good friend. Actually, that's probably insulting him. He is practically my brother. The arena's chanting is echoing through the halls to the looker room as we all kit out.

The boys' chatter fills the air with warmth, joining the smell of men's cologne and mints and it makes my heartbeat in anticipation. Nothing ever makes me feel more alive than this. I was born to do this and I can't help but watch my teammates hype each other up to prepare for our first game.

Ice hockey requires short bursts of energy through the 3 periods of gameplay. Yet you still have to have the stamina to play an equal fight in each game, otherwise, the opposing team could use that to their advantage.

Ronan takes a seat beside me, lacing up his skates. "You ready?"

"Hell yeah." I nod my head, grinning. We touch fists as he gets up to start his speech as the captain. Hyping the boys up, we huddle, discuss the game plan, chant, wish each other luck and go around smacking each other over the head.

Ya know, normal team stuff.

"Boys!" Coach Quinn breaks up our rough play and we all immediately straighten up. He eyes us for a moment before finding Ronan's eyes, "I trust you have given the speech?"

"Yes, Coach," Ronan replies, nodding his head.

Coach nods his too in acknowledgement. "Okay, listen up. I don't need to tell you how important today's match is. This will set the tone for the entire season, which will be the deciding factor on if you get scouted or drafted for the NHL." His stance is straight as he regards us with eyes so serious that no one makes a sound.

I catch Ronan's eye and we silently agree with determination we will give this everything.

"You need to focus. Be precise. No hesitation, you attack. Take the puck and score." Coach Quinn demands his mouth set in a hard line. He says nothing more for a moment and we wait with berated breath.

His eyes soften just a little. "But most importantly, have fun. There is no point in winning if you are going to be miserable during the journey. This is when you grow, make mistakes, learn and become the best versions of yourself. So you can become the best hockey player and make it to NHL. I know you guys can do it. So let's kick some puck."