9. Number 4 Privet Drive

Severus stared at her.  Like it wasn't obvious.  Until this moment, he hadn't really noticed just how wet she was.  There were small puddles in the floor now where she had been standing and he could clearly see her blue bra and underwear through her white dress.  It was as if she wasn't wearing anything else.  He swallowed nervously. 

"I meant where as in location," he clarified.

Alaina dropped her suitcase on the floor in front of her.  "I know what you meant.  I am capable of comprehension every once in a while.  Sorry.  My sarcasm seems to have kicked in."  Her voice was shaking along with the rest of her.  "I've been in Godric's Hollow."

He raised his eyebrows.  That bit of information didn't really surprise him.  He knew she had gone there to finalize the funeral arrangements.  He looked down at the suitcase.

"You were at the house," he stated.

"Yes."

"To get a few things?"

"Yes."  She sighed.  "And to reflect.  I've decided I want to take Harry and raise him as my own.  That's why I came back here.  I came to get him."

"And what do you suppose you're going to do?  You're eighteen, Alaina."

Alaina rubbed her arms, trying to take some of the chill off.  The temperature in his office was even more frigid than it was outside.

"I know how old I am."

"You're cold."

"I am not," she protested.  "I just don't want Harry to grow up without me."

Severus shook his head.  "No, I mean you're shivering.  You're cold."

"Oh.  Yes.  I am a bit chilly."

He gazed at her sympathetically, chiding himself for his lack of manners.  He shook his head again shamefully.  What in the world was the matter with him?

"I'm sorry, Alaina," he apologized.  "I'm going to go get you something dry to put on."

"I have plenty of dry clothes in my suitcase, Severus.  Don't trouble yourself."

"It's no trouble.  I'll just get you a blanket then."  He started toward the door to his right.  "Come with me?  It's warmer in there."

Alaina exhaled slowly.  She had chill bumps all over her.  "Where exactly is that?"

"My private quarters.  It's where I live when school is in," Severus answered.

"I don't know."

"There's a fireplace.  I can have a roaring fire in seconds.  You'll be warmer in there.  I promise."

She picked up her suitcase.  "Okay, I'm sold.  Fire sounds great."

Severus held the door open for her and they went inside together.  He closed the door behind them.  He immediately disappeared inside a door to the left.  When he reemerged, he had a large green blanket in his arms.

"Here," he said, offering it to her.  "Put this around you.  You'll be warm in no time."

"Let me get undressed first," Alaina said.

"Pardon me?"

"I need to get out of these wet clothes."

"Oh.  Right.  Sorry."

She smiled.  "Just hang on to it for a second."

Severus held his breath.  She motioned for him to turn around.  He did so without hesitation.