10. The Funeral

Alaina spent the night at Hogwarts with Harry.  She stayed in the Hospital Wing with a delighted Madame Pomfrey.  She was so eager to see the baby they ended up staying awake half the night.  Of course, Harry slept right through it.  

When morning came, Alaina got up early, got dressed, and whisked Harry down to the kitchens to get him something to eat.  Once he was fed, she ate a few bites herself, sitting with Harry on her lap at one of the tables in the Great Hall.  She was just about the only one inside until the door opened wide.  She looked up, curious who else would be up at around six in the morning.  Her lips spread into a smile when she saw him walking down the row.  It was Severus.  

She turned her attention back to the plate in front of her, wondering if he would notice her sitting there.  She was still wearing her long black dress from last night and no make up.  She didn't want to waste her time putting it on because she knew she'd only cry it right back off.  He walked right by her without so much as a hello.  She watched him walk a little way down and abruptly he stopped.  Curiously, he turned around.  She smiled.

"I didn't think you knew it was me," Alaina told him.

Severus walked back toward her.  "I smelled jasmine.  It didn't really hit me until I'd passed."  He raised his eyebrows curiously.  "What are you doing back here?"

Her eyes moved to Harry.  "Dumbledore agreed to let me take him.  The only thing is I won't be able to stay here.  I have to go live among the Muggles."

He stared at her, his heart sinking inside his chest.  "Whatever for?"

She patted Harry on the back.  "For his benefit and protection.  I really didn't know why until Dumbledore explained it to me last night.  He's going to be famous and I don't want him to get a big head, you know?  Plus, there was something else I was thinking about last night, too while Madame Pomfrey was playing with the baby.  There are Death Eaters everywhere and they're going to be awfully sore some little baby took away their master.  I don't want him to have to spend his childhood looking over his shoulder."

He pressed his lips together.  He wanted to beg her not to go, to stay with him, but he knew it was no use.  She had convinced herself to go already.  She wouldn't stay for him.  Why even mention it?

"I suppose it would be best for him."  He cleared his throat.  "Well, I'm going to get some breakfast."

"You could sit with us, Severus.  If you want to."

He shook his head.  "That won't be necessary.  I'm taking it back to my office.  There are some things I need to do before I go to the funeral today."

She understood. "Okay.  I will see you there then."  She got up from her seat.  "Find me?"

"I will."

He turned and walked up to the table at the front. Alaina assumed it was for the staff.  She watched him until he took his seat and then quickly turned her head.  She walked briskly out of the Great Hall and back to the Hospital Wing.

"Good lord!" Madame Pomfrey exclaimed.  "What's wrong, Alaina?"

She hadn't even realized she was crying until she walked through the double doors and saw the woman's face etch itself with worry.  She wiped the tears from her eyes and sat down on the bed.  She held Harry close to her.  Madame Pomfrey hurried to her side and took a seat on the bed in front of her.

"I just don't want to say goodbye," Alaina confessed.  To what, or rather whom, she did not specify.  "It's hard to leave everything you've ever known, every friend you've ever had to start over somewhere new."