Chapter 42: Reunited

"Hi, Y/n..." the man says as he enters the room.

"Dad?" I say with a questioning tone sitting straight up now.

"Merry Christmas y/n," Lizzie says smiling at me.

I jump up from my seat and rush over to my dad hugging him tightly after he dropped his bags. I start to tear up with all the emotions flooding in at once.

"I'm sorry, I think I was in shock when I first saw you. Merry Christmas!" I say sniffling smiling at him.

"Merry Christmas to you too," he replies and I realize we are still standing at the front door.

"Oh my god, please come in. Here I can take your bags and put them over here for now," I say reaching for them.

My dad and Lizzie walk into the living room and sit down on the couch on each end. Once I put the bags down I join them sitting in the middle and start a conversation.

"So dad... what are you doing here? Not that I'm not happy to see you," I laugh and Lizzie does too.

"Actually Lizzie was the one who reached out to me and asked if I wanted to come to spend the day with you," he says and I look over at her staring at me lovingly. I grab her hand and smile, mouthing the words 'thank you.

I turn back to my dad still holding Lizzie's hand. We talk for a long while before we decide to make dinner. My dad asks if he can cook for us and of course, I agree. My dad is an amazing cook and everything he makes tastes like perfection.

We sit down together and enjoy our meal. Lizzie and my dad seem to be getting along super well which makes me happy. My dad has never really lived with any of the people I have gone out with but I can tell he likes Lizzie a lot.

~~~

My dad and I are now walking around the farm together. Lizzie told us to go hang out alone while she cleans up dinner and dessert and wouldn't take no for an answer. I decided to walk him out here because he has never seen the farm before so I thought I would show him around.

"So Lizzie. Do you love her?" He asks out of nowhere and I pause for a minute, shocked at his question.

"I do love her. More than I have ever loved anyone. She's different than everyone else. Well actually she's perfect," I tell him and he smiles.

"I believe it. I see the way Lizzie looks at you all the time, especially when you're not paying attention. She really cares about you. She told me why you haven't seen me since your mother died. I just want you to know that I get it. You don't have to feel bad for not coming to see me. If I'm being honest, I wanted to be alone too and felt bad for not reaching out to you. It was just hard," he explains and I nod as a tear runs down my cheek.

"Thanks, dad. I'm really glad you came through. I missed you,"

"I missed you too kiddo," he says pulling me into a side hug as we continue to walk around.

"Oh! I forgot! This is for you," he says pulling out a small box.

"What is it?" I ask and he hands it to me.

"Just open it. It was your mother's ring that I proposed to her with that your grandfather proposed with. Her plan was always to give the ring to you to propose with. I wasn't sure if I should give it to you yet, but seeing you and Lizzie together today made me certain that I could give it to you,"

"Oh, dad... thank you. You won't regret giving it to me. I promise," I say hugging him.

~~~