(Chapter 16)

10.43AM, Saturday, Dec. 12th

Some Street Near 400 West 37th Street, New York

I can’t believe this is it. This can’t be the boy I’m meant to love.

We walked, about a meter between our bodies. I couldn’t tell if he was content with this arrangement, because I would not meet his eyes. My mind wandered, desperately trying to think of something to say.

“Have you seen Phantom of the Opera?” I said, grasping onto a random topic. After the boring previous dates we’d had together, I’d decided to do a little research of the so-called foreign musicals or stuff he liked.

“Yes, I have,” he said, his blue eyes suddenly wide with excitement. “I saw the opera in Paris. It was truly spectacular! What did you think of it?”

The Opera? I’d only vaguely watched the movie. I bit my lip.

“Uh, it was great,” I bluffed.

He went on another long-winded monologue about how he thought he could really understand the characters and how great in general he thought it was. I suppressed a huge sigh. I think I was really going to have to break up with him. I couldn’t take this much –

Wait! What the hell was I saying?! I couldn’t break up with him! He was meant to be Mr. Right! He was meant to be the boy I fell for, his Romeo to my Juliet, his Harry to my Sally, his Ron to my Hermione, I couldn’t just…

But I felt nothing for him. The emotion I felt for him was nothing but a feeble twitch, compared to the emotion I felt for Jake. There was no passion there, no love.

We’d reached my house door, when I turned to him. He smiled at me. Jake’s smile would have immediately made my knees tremble, and my palms sweat. Blane’s smile just made me want to vaguely smile back. But still, I was determined. I had to find the passion.

I looked straight into his eyes and he looked vaguely frightened.

“Summer, are you o –?”

I grabbed the back of his head and brought his lips to mine, crushing them together fiercely, cutting his sentence off short. I leaned into Blane, kissing him as hard as I could, as passionately as I could allow. I wanted to feel something, anything. I would have been happy with just a slight jump, or even just a melted feeling. I wanted the kiss to be special. I wanted it to be the kiss that convinced me to stay with him.

All I could feel was disgust.

My body yearned for Jake.

I pulled back with force, backing away so he could not see the tears that had formed under my eyelids.

“I’m sorry…I…”

Without another word, I ran into the apartment block. He didn’t follow me.

***

Chapter Nine: Kissing Mr. Right

Kissing. Some people have an over-romanticized view on it, while others simply think of it as an annoying prelude to “other stuff”. But the classic sign that Mr. Right is the one for you, is the kiss. For instance, how does it feel?

When you kiss Mr. Right, you should feel gooey inside, like your insides have melted. Kissing Mr. Right should make your heart flutter. Kissing Mr. Right should make your palms sweaty, and your knees weak. When you kiss Mr. Right, you should –

Oh, God. Who was I kidding? Blane was not Mr. Right. He was nowhere near Mr. Right. I held my face in my hands. What was I going to do?

My phone binged. I perked up, checking the screen. It was Jake.

He’d texted: ‘What’s up? Jake X’

I bit my lip, trying to figure out how I was supposed to reply. I settled with: ‘Feeling kind of down. What are you doing?’

That was perfect, right? Ambiguous, at least.

‘Do you want to go out?’ was his reply. I checked the clock doubtfully. It was almost past midnight.

‘Uh, my parents will kill me.’

‘So what? Let’s go a little crazy.’

I smirked. ‘You really are a bad influence on me, you know.’

‘I know.’

‘Meet you in five.’

I grabbed my jacket again, which was still cold. Jake had managed to cheer me up in only a few texts. Maybe he was Mr. Right.

***

I met him outside my apartment block, in the pitch black. Luckily, Mom and Sammy had been asleep since about seven, so I had no problem slipping out. Jake was staring at his feet, his expression serious, leaning against his motorbike in that leather jacket of his. When he saw me approaching, his whole face lit up, and his smile was visible even in the darkness. I tried to ignore the fact that my knees had just melted.

See, that was a real smile.

“Where are we going?” I asked, my teeth chattering. My breath came out in front of me in little puffs of cloud.

He smirked, and my heart skipped. Why did I fall for such a bad boy?

“Skating Rink,” he said, passing me a helmet. I raised an eyebrow, but got on behind him anyway. I hugged him close, feeling his body heat beneath the soft leather.

Not such a bad boy after all.

***

Author's Note: Sorry about extra-short chapters, but I'm so busy writing my other books :P

I bought a cake today. It was yummy. But now I think I'm fat.

VOMMENT!!