Chapter forty-three

The next evening, Sophie could not stop pacing. Everything was way to difficult to deal with. The dance was coming up, and every moment that went by, only brought more dread and worry. There was no telling what was going to happen, but Sophie knew for a fact that a dance would be a perfect place to do some damage. To what? Who knew? To the Black Swan? To the high school? To Sophie?

Round and around her room she paced, being overcome by anxiety that she had became unaware what was happening around her.

"What's with the trail of doom Foster?"

Sophie paused. She had completely forgotten that Keefe was there. The smirking boy sat on her bed, exactly like she told him not to do, his head tilted and his eyes glistening with concern, though his voice didn't show it.

Looking down at her carpet, she realized she had left a flattened ring where she had paced for hours, like what would happen when a heavy object was left on a rug for long enough.

Oops.

Sophie sighed and sat next to Keefe. He had not told her why he was there. Maybe he just wanted some time away from his father, which was completely fair. From the brief time that Sophie had saw him, she immediately hated the oily smiled celebrity with all of her being.

"You okay?" She asked Keefe. Sophie had been meaning to talk to him lately. It couldn't be easy to have your mother leading an evil organization and your father be a stuck-up jerk.

A flicker of doubt crossed his face, but disappeared as suddenly as it had came. Concerned, Foster? Relax. I can pretty much feel your spiral of worry."

Sophie tried her best to relax her shoulders, but they tensed up right after. If her brain couldn't calm down, she doubted her body would either.

"Tell me what's up first," she told him.

"It's nothing."

"Really?" She pried.

"Yup! Come on Foster chill. My life is all under control."

Sophie looked him up and down. "Mhmm."

Keefe scoffed. "I'm fine! Stop staring at me like that." He smacked her with a pillow.

Sophie laughed and hit him back. They burst out onto a full blown pillow fight, throwing pillows around the room and completely destroying Sophie's nicely made bed.

"Keefe!" She screamed as the pillow he threw hit her across the face.

"Watcha gonna do about it Foster?" He taunted playfully, flashing another one of his smirks.

As fast as lightening, Sophie bolted past him, ruffled his hair and smacked a pillow as hard as she could on his back.

"Hey! The Hair!" He shouted from the floor.

"Watcha gonna do about it Keefe?" She mocked in a deep voice.

Keefe laughed as he sat up, fixing his hair. Sophie stretched an arm out to help him up. He grabbed it but instead of pulling himself to his feet, he yanked Sophie down to the ground next to him.

"Rude!"

He stood and help Sophie to her feet as well. She thought about trying to get Keefe to open up again, but decided against it. He would tell her when he was ready. Sophie sighed and looked at the time. 9:00 pm.

"You should get home, your dad is probably worried." She told Keefe.

"Kicking me out?" He fiend a look of hurt. "That hurts Foster." He flashed one last smirk before saying goodbye and exiting her room.

————————

The morning after, they were all stood outside the school. Biana had scheduled a dress fitting for all the girls the next day, even though she was 110% sure they would fit perfectly.

"You guys got dates yet?" Biana asked after explaining how everything had to be absolutely perfect for the dance or it would be the worst day of her life.

Everyone shook their heads except for Linh and Dex, though Fitz and Keefe looked a little doubtful.

"Linh?" Marella sang.

"What?" She blushed.

"You have a date?" Sophie smiled at her friend.

"Yeah," Linh whispered.

Tam looked ready to explode, barely containing himself.

"Who?!" Biana squealed.

"Umm..." The bell rang, signalling the start of school. "Gotta go." She shuffled away awkwardly.

"You good?" Sophie asked Tam as they walked through the front doors.

"Yeah," he grumbled, sending death glares at his sisters back.

Sophie chuckled and headed towards her first class. Sitting through it was almost more painful than her arm. The teacher was droning on about science and stupid stuff that didn't matter, it took everything inside of her to pay attention.

When the class was over, she walked into the hallway and was met with a familiar face.

"Trevor?" A boy from her P.E. class.

"Hi Sophie," he pulled her to a dark corner. Highly suspicious. "Listen," he whispered. Sophie backed away a little bit. What was going on? "I know you're faking your arm. You heal unnaturally fast and it's been two and a half
weeks. You're just seeking attention, so take off the cast and stop lying to everyone."

"I'm not seeking attention." Was that really what everyone thought?

"Than what is it?" Trevor's eyes glinted with something Sophie couldn't decipher. His voice held a rude undertone.

"My arms just broken." She told him, trying to walk away.

He pulled her back, holding tightly on her right arm as if trying to break it. "I know you're lying. Tell me the truth."

Sophie squirmed under his intense gaze. "That's the truth, let me go man." She tried to pull away from him, but his grip was strong.

He started to reach for her left arm. "Don't you dare," she said in a warning voice.

Just when she was about to use her super strength to bust out of his grip, she saw a small black marking on his wrist. An eye. And not just any eye, the eye of the Neverseen.

Sophie froze, unable to move, as she stared in horror at his cold dead eyes. Trevor was one of the last people she would've expected. He seemed nice, didn't talk much, always doing good in his subjects, though she supposed he was the perfect person to observe. But why move in now? Why blow your cover?

A hand pulled Trevor away from her, making him let go of her arm. He was yanked into a door, a man standing in front of him, a dangerous look on his face. Sandor. He flashed Sophie a smile as he slammed the door behind him.

Sophie stood, frozen. Maybe this was bigger than she thought. A hand grasped her shoulder making jump out of her trance. Tam took a step back. "What's your deal?" He asked.

"He was- and there was a thing- and he grabbed me-"

"Woah okay. How about we talk not here." He said.

Sophie nodded. That's probably best. Tam started walking away, Sophie's legs refusing to follow. Tam sighed, grabbing her arm and dragging her down the hall.

She looked back at the room Trevor was in. Her mission just got real.

A/N
1180 words!
Hey guys! I am a bit sick at the moment, so I'm going to be taking a week off to get better. Also, Thank you so much for 20 thousand reads! How crazy is that?! The support that you guys show means so much!
Hope you guys enjoys this chapter! See you in a week!

😄♥️😈-kayTam87