41. the one with reliving some bad memories

"That was really nice what you did for Pierre" Charles said as I walked back to our garage.

"I was actually planning to do it with you, but he seemed to need it" I told the guy. It was true. I had planned to give the flowers to Charles knowing he hadn't yet had a chance to get any by himself.

"I think it's good you did it with Pierre" he nodded. I knew how close they were. I think both got along with their teammates and basically everyone, but the way they trusted each other was different from that, they were actually friends.

"Yeah" I agreed. "Well, I better get going" I told Charles saying good nights giving him a quick hug before heading out of the paddock. It was going to be a tough weekend but for very different reasons.

It was already Saturday when I got to the paddock next time. I had been working on some sponsor stuff all day yesterday and was now happy to get back to the action. It was raining. And with that I mean like raining raining. There was a big chance that it would cause some problems for the race but I hoped not.

FP3 was chaotic. Everyone was spinning and driving off the track with a lack of grip. I was starting to get a little scared for the quali as I knew that none of those guys would stop trying their hardest. The morning went fast and the time for qualification was already here.

"Please be careful" I said to Carlos. "Both of you" I shouted so Charles would hear me too.

"Yeah, we'll be alright" Carlos promised and climbed into his car. And then it began.

Lando was in his element and driving amazingly straight from beginning setting the fastest lap in Q1. Q2 Lando was still in lead but Carlos had been eliminated and Charles was in danger to drop as well and Daniel dropped him under the line. The mood in the garage was frustrated as both of our cars were out before Q3.

I turned my attention back to the screen as Q3 started knowing Lando had a chance for pole for the first time in his career and that was the thing I was silently rooting for now. Carlos had already left to do some interviews so he could get them done. The conditions around the track were horrible. You could barely see the cars in the camera image and I didn't even want to imagine how it must have been for the drivers.

Lando left for his lap and I had my fingers crossed he would set a good time. The excitement turned into a horror soon enough as a image of spinning car came to screen and I could feel my breath getting stuck on my throat as I ran to the nearest guy with headset.

"Please tell me his okay?" I begged him feeling the panic arise as my whole body started to shake. It was the same corner I had already lost one friend to and now there was no word from Lando who had just crashed big time. The seconds felt so long as I stared the guy in front of me as Carlos ran back to the garage.

"He is okay, Seb checked on him" Carlos said seeing me instantly wrapping his arms around my trembling body.

"Here" the mechanic gave the headset to me and I could hear Lando's engineer checking on him. Then there was his voice. He sounded so much in pain, I had never hear him like that, but I was so happy hearing he was okay and seeing him getting off his car.

"He's okay" I let out a shaky breath and tried to smile to Carlos, but it only led for tears to drop from my eyes.

"Hey, it's all good" he said closing me inside his arms once again.

"I know, I just got a little scared" I let out a nervous laugh stepping back an wiping the tears off my face.

"I think we all did" Carlos nodded.

"I'm gonna" I said pointing out.

"Yeah, yeah take your time, I'll take care of everything here" he assured as I jogged towards the ER. I pumped on Mick on the way, like literally I ran straight to him.