Chapter 16

"My love."

"Yes, my Kyro?" I asked, looking at the papers I needed to finish. Fortunately for me, dad and Dalton had worked on my stead while the beta was gone. All I had left to do is finish a few papers.

"Would you allow me to punch a certain someone if they would appear in front of us?" He stared outside the window. Watching the people get busy. I knew who he was referring to.

"Of course I would. You should know that you can do anything you want unless I stop you if I think it's bad. The same goes for me. Stop me when you think I'm on the wrong."

Rumbling footsteps from the outside got our attention. My door busted open as I was surprised to see my beta and gamma.

"You're finally back." They both hugged me.

"I'm sorry we didn't protect you. We should've secured the area immediately then." Connor bowed apologetically and was followed by Adrian. "It's alright. Don't apologize for something that's not your fault." I replied.

"No it's not. We love you Sky. And we almost lost you because we didn't clear that place sooner."

"Guilt and regret is such a bad thing when it stays for too long. I'm not saying you shouldn't feel it, but you should slowly let it go. Hearing that you've been having little sleep and restless in finding the shooter for almost a month concerns us." Kyro, with his calming voice, spoke to Adrian and Connor. He was more of a luna than I could ever be, and that is something I am proud of my mate.
"I'm sorry. Who are you?" Adrian asked completely dumbstruck by a stranger talking to him in a comforting manner. Kyro already knew who everyone is because of our shared memory, but he might've forgotten that it's only us who knows who and not the same for Adrian and everyone else.

"This is Kyro, my mate. He knows every person I know because we share memories from the bond." I explained.

Connor shook Kyro's hand. "That's awesome. When I met my mate I only had a glimpse of her past but not much like yours."

With the time that passed as I was in a deep sleep, I thought of our friends that have died during the attack. It was already irresponsible of me to leave for six days after I just woke up. And more irresponsible of me for not remembering them and to hold an honorable funeral. They might've all been buried by now, but still, I needed to to pay my respects and ask for their family's forgiveness. If I had only gotten there sooner and did not waste time, I would have prevented their deaths.

"Connor. Those who died, tell me." I had already dressed and prepared to visit the grieving families. Connor stood up as he sighed to prepare himself. He spoke softly; "Allyssa Mcgail, Billy Simmons, Jason Fox, Leo Quinn, Miles and Milly Hashford." I had to hold my tears so hard after hearing the last two names. They were all part of our pack, part of my family. I worked hard to become strong enough to avoid war and conflict so that my pack would be safe. And after one unexpected event, I lost more than one. It hurts more than I thought.

They were with me as I grew. I expected the twins to be the one grieving at my funeral, not the other way around.

"You can cry. It's okay." Connor hugged me before my tears streamed down as I couldn't stop it.

A hand touched my shoulder and Adrian spoke. "We had them cremated as their families wanted to wait for you before they get buried." Just when I thought I was ready, I lost my courage to face their families. How could I face them when I didn't do my duty as alpha, to protect them. They were not warriors. I did my best to not let them become one so that they stay safe. So why them, the ones I wanted to be safe, were the ones that died?

It was my own decision that killed them. If I had let them become warriors they would've learned to fight wolves and they would've lived.

I went to Kyro's arms and sobbed silently. "Let it all out. Cry as much as you can, but know that you are not to blame. You have risked your life to protect the plenty, and I know they did the same. Even if you did not let them become warriors you knew they were strong enough."