51. the one with the heartbreak

Russia shared a border with Finland and this was still the first time I had visited the country. Week had flown by and it was already the day of the race. The weather had been mixture of everything but right now it looked like we were off to a dry start. The biggest news of the weekend was Lando on pole and even bigger surprise had been George starting from P3, but the best thing of all was the fact that our Carlos was starting between those two. It was a dream starting grid almost, I wouldn't have mind Carlos on pole.

So yeah, it was going to be interesting for sure. Charles had been unlucky with everything since we got here and was now starting from the back of the grid with Max. There had been a lot of grid penalties, which had really messed up the usual format.

"I still can't believe this" Cami said pointing the screen in front of us as we waited for the race to start. We had been working from the early morning to make sure everything was okay for my leaving and the next intern to take on after me and now we were impatiently waiting for lights off.

"I know, I wanna see more grids like this" I pointed out. As a fan of the sport this was what everyone wanted to see, new drivers on the top of the grid making it more interesting. I knew that Lewis was going to attack straight away as he started from P4. George really didn't have a much of a change as the race pace of Williams was still poor. Then there was Max who started from P20 but to be honest I wouldn't even be surprised if he would come and mix the whole thing in top10.

"Tell me about it, I hope the regulation changes next year will make it more interesting and pick teams like, I don't know, us closer to the championship fight" she crossed his fingers. I knew that it had been hard couple of season for the oldest team on the grid and how desperate and hungry they were getting back to the top.

"Yeah, that would be amazing." I agreed. "I secretly hope that we would get that good old Ferrari – McLaren fight what we used to have." I had been too young when probably the greatest Finn of F1 had been on the grid racing against Michael and won two titles back-to-back with McLaren. I've watched those races but man I would've wanted to be there seeing them in real time. 

"Yeah that would be pretty sick"

Finally it was time to race. Everything was looking good for Lando, he was going to win hi first ever grand prix.

"He didn't box?" I said worried knowing that the steady drizzle was not so little anymore and it was really starting to rain.

"That's not good for him" Cami nodded biting her nails next to me.

I was feeling pretty nervous. The conditions around the track had changed dramatically and Carlos was on P7 for now. Charles on the other hand was right behind Alonso fighting for the third place. Three laps to go and my heart broke as I watched Lando lost his car driving wide losing the lead to Lewis and after that the whole leader board was put in to a brand new order. Lewis was the winner taking his 100th win which was pretty unbelievable. Max had somehow managed to climb to a second place and my last race with Ferrari was about to end in a podium with Carlos as he crossed the finish line third. I watched as the young McLaren driver crossed the line seventh taking the fastest lap but it wasn't going to do much after he had screwed up his first win in F1. I needed to forget that for a bit though as we ran towards the end of the pitlane to see our guy, who had made a good effort bringing us his third podium of the season. I watched as Carlos jumped to hug his team and tried my best to get me and my camera on the position to get some photos of him. From the side of my eye I could see the yellow helmet walking away with the visor and head down. There was no way he was going to forgive himself that any time soon.

We stayed to watch the podium celebrations before heading back to the debrief and finishing the day. Well finishing the internship for me. We had made plans to go out later today but the official internship was about to be finished.