Chapter 16

Ciane

Christian had barely woken up last night and by morning, I was already so tired and in need of sleep very urgently. I had stayed up almost the entire night checking his temperature, pulse and changing his bloodied bandages. They were improving greatly. I was almost surprised by this. By morning, his face was almost completely healed. His ribs that were thoroughly bruised looked like they were healing slightly. There was much difference from the dying Christian from last night and the one from this morning who looked very much alive.

A huge yawn left my mouth, reminding me of the fact that I had barely slept last night. I rub my eyes before preparing a much needed cup of coffee. If I didn't take it, I'm pretty sure I'd just fall asleep.

When I'm done, I head back upstairs expecting Christian to still be in bed, only to find an empty bed. Before I could panic, I hear the familiar sound of the shower going on. Of course he had woken up.

I exit the room and head towards the kitchen where I had left the delicious coffee. Taking a sit by the counter, I pour myself another cup and take a huge sip of the hot caffeine and without realizing it, a huge sigh escapes my lips. Delicious.

I was taking the final gulp of my coffee when my eyes connect with those of Christian as he walked down the stairs, his hands holding his ribs. He had on a white  t-shirt and some black pants. His hair laid messily on top of his head, still dripping slightly from the shower he just took.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I ask, my voice sounding too gentle for my liking.

"I'm fine." He grumbles. Of course.

"How's your ribs? Do you need anything to eat? Is anything hurting?" I asked again trying to fully comprehend if he was lying or actually he was actually okay. And from the little time spent with him, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to look weak in front of anyone.

"I said I'm fine! And I would love a cup of coffee." He demands and walks towards the living room. My eyes follows his movements until he finally flops down on the couch. He instantly hisses and clutches his ribs once more. I almost laugh out loud, quite enjoying his misery. I had just asked nicely and he wasn't even grateful that I helped him. He did not even thank me for treating his wounds, staying awake almost the entire night to take care of him. How typical of him.

"Yeah, if you're feeling that fine, you can come and prepare your own coffee." I glare and decide to go to my room to catch up on some much needed rest.

"Fine, I'm sorry. Can I just have some coffee, please." I almost gape at him. He actually apologized.

"Fine, only because you asked so nicely."

I prepare him a cup, making sure I add a few spoons of sugar. I bet he loves his coffee black with no sugar. Well, it'll have to do.

I grab the mug and hand him the now bittersweet drink. He takes a sip and sighs.

"It's good."

"Oh, I thought you'd prefer it black like your soul." I whisper only to receive a glare from the said man.

Right. Werewolf hearing.

"Very funny." He rolls his eyes taking another sip from his mug.

I sigh wondering if questioning him right now would be a bad idea. I mean we weren't close or anything but at least he owed me an explanation.

"Whatever you want to ask me, go ahead." Christian says, as if he had already read my mind.

"What happened to you out there?" I ask, my voice almost a whisper. He stays mum and when I'm almost sure he wasn't going to respond, he speaks up.

"It really doesn't matter, Ciane. What's done is done." It was the first time he was using my name with no malice or hate in it. I did not know what to think or feel about that.

"Christian, you showed up bruised and beaten up with wounds all over you! How does that not matter!?" I glare at him. He was acting very immature right now. He places the mug, that he was squishing with his hand, on the glass table and glare at it.

"Just ignore it, Ciane. It shouldn't bother or concern you." He sounded almost frustrated.

"How can I ignore it, Christian! You show up bruised, almost dead and you offer me no explanation. You owe me just that." I was getting mad by the minute and I knew if I kept it up I'd say something I'd fully regret.

"It's nothing, okay! Nothing! And forget about it! Don't act like you care! Don't act as if you don't have secrets too!" He yells, his voice booming through the entire house.

It was a secret? I did not know he'd be this triggered.

"Wait, it has something to do with all those nightmares you're getting, right?" I instantly regret asking it.

His face pales and he instantly shoots up from his sit completely disregarding the fact that he almost lost his life and was still healing. I did not comment because I was busy trying to find a way out of the hole I had just dug up for myself.

"Nightmares?" His voice barely audible.

"Umm...." I was in shock myself.

"You know this is the most you've ever spoken to me." I laugh, the laugh sounding very unreal and nervous.

"Don't change the subject, Ciane. What. Do. You. Mean. Nightmares?" He asks, each word detonated, his eyes burning with fury with a hint of. . .fear? No, I read that wrong. He places his hand on my shoulder keeping me in place.

"Christian, it's not a big deal. Just let it go."

"No, I want to know." He glares at me, his eyes sharp and full on furious.

"Fine, you kept muttering in your sleep for someone to stop and not to hurt some people." I whisper, my voice diminishing as I spoke the words.

"No," He murmurs, the hand on my shoulder going stiff and dropping from there. His eyes held nothing. No anger, no fury, no pain or any other emotion. Completely void. And that scares me.

"Christian, it's not a big deal honestly I am not judging you or anything, I promise."  I try, wincing when the words sounds very weird and very cliche. What am I suppose to say, honestly.

"Did I say anything else?" It's like he did not hear what I just said.

"No?"

"Forget everything you heard, it meant nothing. And I wasn't screaming for anyone. Just don't bring it up. Ever." His voice sounded void of emotions.

My eyes trace the scar on his face. I had never really focused on it that much but now that I'm close to his face, I could easily note that a blunt object had been forcibly used to scar it. Probably silver because it looked very painful. Our scars almost looked identical. While mine was excruciatingly painful, his looked as if the person who did it wanted to make him remember it and the reason it was there. It was at that moment that I realize, I have no idea who Christian really is.

His back story. Where he came from and why he saved me that night from the rogues. Why he did not let me die. I had asked before why he did it and he said it was out of pity but I felt there was something else. . . something he wasn't telling me.

"Christian, I. . ." I don't finish what I was saying because he storms away, not even glancing back at me. I stare at the  cup that still had coffee on the table, almost full.

What have I got myself into? I was confused, tired but mostly frustrated.  I did not know why I was getting so invested in him. He wasn't worth my time but I couldn't stop the curiosity clawing at me to discover everything about him.

I updated! :)

How y'all doing loves?

Favorite writer?

Vote. Comment. Share.