Why He Cried

Edgar never really felt emotions, not strongly. The most that he felt was disgust or anger, but even then, his expressions were very minute. So meeting you was a surprise. He met you at a work party. It wasn't mandatory, it was just so different departments would get to know each other and make stronger bonds within the company. Edgar and Finneas had decided to go on a whim. It was nothing special, but it was fun seeing people get drunk and act foolish. It was even funnier to see those same people try to make up for it the days after. Then he saw you and he found that his face was warm. Not warm like when he would drink too much alcohol, but a ticklish kind of warm that gently caressed his skin. He felt a laugh bubble up in his chest as he watched you laugh with a receptionist. You laugh was contagious and that smile of yours was truly a blessing.

He wanted to be the one to make you laugh next time.

And that's when he knew that he had to have you.

You were awkward, but the people who took the time to talk to you found that they loved your personality. You were kind and understanding and you rarely judged people. Because of that, you had a lot of close friends that would do nearly anything for you. People were protective of you and you sweetness...

Just like he was.

So he had to do a lot of preparation to even get you to say yes to his sudden marriage proposal.

Edgar remembered when he manipulated your friends, turning them against each other. They loved you so much that they didn't want to drag you into it. So when you friend group suddenly split, you were confused and sought him out for comfort. The nights he spent with you, telling you that you didn't need friends who didn't respect you, were some of the hardest nights of your relationship. He didn't expect you to fight so hard for them, but you always saw the good in people.

And the way you cried when people suddenly didn't want to have anything to do with you. He hated that sound and he hated himself for putting your through it. He often thought if it was every going to be worth it.

"They'll sort it out," you would say, "they'll call me soon." You refused to think your friends wouldn't open up to you about their problems, but eventually they began to ghost you. It crushed you, shattered you.

And Edgar was there to pick up the pieces.

Unlike how he was with your friends, he was extremely kind to your family, though your cousins saw right through his façade. They made jabs at him, pulling you aside to bad mouth him. He was fortunate that you and your cousins were never close or you might have actually heeded their warnings.

All it took was one incident, your drunken uncle started a fight with him while they were playing poker. Edgar pretended to be caught off guard, but he was making sly comments under his breath the entire time just to rile your uncle up.

Edgar won the game, much to your uncle's dismay and Edgar's surprise, and then he made a cruel joke about the amount of debt your uncle was in. He hinted at your uncle's gambling addiction and that was it, that was all it took. Your husband took a punch in the face, right in the eye, just so you would cut tides with your uncle and his family all together. For the weeks that his eye was blackened and bruised, you took care of him. You would apologize every time he said he was in pain. Even now, if he were to mention it, your eyes would flicker with shame.

So after having to pretend and manipulate and dance around your social life in a way that would distance everyone just enough, he proposed. Your parents encouraged it, thinking that he was the best you could get—he was a hardworking, relatively wealthy, handsome man after all—and everyone else; your cousins, your friends, and your coworkers; weren't really close enough to object. You wouldn't have listened to them anyway because you fell madly in love with him.

You mentioned how he was always there for you when you had nobody else. You didn't know he was the reason that you had nobody else.

When he saw you in your wedding dress, he realized he was triumphant. With the help of some higher power, everything fell in a way that lead to the very moment of your wedding.

You two got married in a very unconventional place, but it was far away from anyone who knew you. There was no one there to object, no one there to talk you out of it.

You looked so beautiful in the sunlight, like an angel, and when you said, "I do," he couldn't help but cry. He had only wanted one thing in life and that was you—and he had you. God, he had you, You were his; he was yours.

So that's why he cried. And he cried again when he woke up next to you the morning after. But he wouldn't cry anymore, because now he knew that your marriage was not a dream, but his victorious reality.

And he planned to keep it that way.

I hope you guys enjoyed that. Have a splendid day okay?