112. new years eve, 1979

A D O M A N I A

cxii||new years eve, 1979

"Why do we even have to go?" Maria complains after being informed by Regulus that they had each received an invitation to another of the minister of magic's prestigious 'gatherings'. Regulus sighs, clambering back into the bed beside her and shrugging his shoulders, kissing her forehead.

"We don't." Regulus mutters, cupping her cheeks with his large hands and she sighs. "But, it could be fun. And James and Lily are going. The invite says we can bring a plus one, for any muggle-borns or half-bloods that didn't receive one. I know how much you've been wanting to show Mary what a ball is like. And it will give us chance to get close to the death eaters in a crowded room."

"So this is all a mission for the order?" Maria rolls her eyes, playing with her hands and Regulus quickly shakes his head. "Yes, it is."

"It doesn't have to be just that." Regulus sighs, grabbing her hands in his and tracing his thumb over the back of her hand. "I want an excuse to dance with you."

Maria's lips twitch unwillingly and she sighs, "okay. Fine."

"Good, because everyone's already downstairs." He grimaces slightly and Maria scoffs with a smile, throwing a pillow at him and he groans and grabs her thighs, pulling her closer to him and pressing his lips against hers. She smiles against his lips and moves her hands up to tug at his tousled locks, Regulus' hands gripping the back of her thighs softly.

"Really?" They quickly pull away at the sound of Sirius' voice in the doorway and Maria sighs, moving her hands to Regulus' shoulders.

"Get out." Regulus groans and Sirius snickers. "Sirius!"

"No. We're discussing a plan downstairs — and get some clothes on." Sirius grins, gesturing to Maria who's only wearing a purple bra and a pair of Regulus' boxers. She grins and launches another pillow at him but it hits the door that he had quickly slammed closed.

"God, I hate him." Regulus mumbles and Maria smiles, kissing his forehead before clambering out of the bed and shrugging on some sweatpants and a random tank top.

"Well, I say we get absolutely bladdered." Sirius states from his place slouched in the armchair and Dorcas raises her hand.

"I second that." She says, moving her long braids over her shoulder. "Why should our new year be some scheme to get close to the pure-blood families that are suspected death eaters."

"Because, Meadows, those people could be dangerous." James sighs, taking Lily's hand into his and giving it a comforting squeeze. "It's better to know who we're dealing with. Regulus can only get us so much information."

"I agree." Remus swallows, leaning forwards in his seat and resting his elbows on his knees. "I hate to admit it but we need to have everyone's eyes open for these people."