Chapter { 16 } : Proud

Mirabella :

We arrived to our state, and opened the large door.

I think everyone is in the living room, because there is a bit too much commotion in there.

I am deeply anxious right now, I really hope they don't get angry.

I entered the room, my nonna and tias sat on a couch together, while papà, my zios, and nonno, sat on another one, my oldest fratelli, are sat on another, and the youngest are sprawled on eachother, either on the ground or on the other couch.

Luca sat with the eldest.

I don't even know where to go, the women will be talking about way too boring things, and the boys are way too loud.

But I'll choose the boys.

I went towards them, hiding my tattoo with my long hoodie.

The only place was beside Ace.

Jeez, everyone is really scared of him.

I mean not scared, but like they try to ignore him.

I don't mind him, he's not mean to me.

I sat beside him on the couch, while apollo leaned his head in my legs.

"I think bella has something to show you guys", said Luca a bit loudly for everyone to hear, while I sent him a glare.

He was NOT supposed to say.

"What is it bambina", asked nonno this time.

And now everyone is looking at me, damn I hate the attention.

"Ummm, well... me and luca just went out, and I did something...... but I already spoke to papà and my fratelli about it, and they said yes, so there won't be a problem, right?", I mumbled not sure how to tell them.

"What did you do", asked zio salvatore this time.

Everyone was just staring at me, even papà was calm, as if he already knows.

I put my left hand on my face to cover my eyes, and raised my right hand.

The silence was unbearable.

You can hear a pin drop.

Why is everyone calm.

I opened a gap between my index and middle finger, so I can see their reactions.

They were... confused?

Aren't they mafia people, they are supposed to put things together.

"Is that a tattoo?", leo was the first one to ask.

And after that I was bombarded with way too many questions.

"How did you get that".

"Riccardo, you approved of this?".

"It looks so pretty".

"I want one".

"What does it mean".

"Why a snake".

"I like it".

I removed my hand form my face.

"You got the tattoo?", asked papà this time, once everyone calmed down.

"Uhhu..... yes, I did, and to answer your questions, I had a valid reason to chose this tattoo".
I said, fiddling with my necklace.

"Well, snakes are a symbole of rebirth, transformation and healing", their eyes all softened after hearing that, as Akari layed on my lap.

"Aaaand, the sun and moon on each end, makes the snake a path, like a bridge between the good and bad, do you get that?". I continued.

By the time I was finished everyone was looking at me in awe and they look kinda.... proud.

"That's beautiful, cara", commented nonna this time with unshed tears.

I smiled at her.

"Can I see it?", asked Rafael.

I nodded and showed them my tattoo again.

My brothers were all smiling, but papà was still silently looking at me.

I sent him a bright smile, and he responded with a sad one and left the room.

What's wrong with him.

This went for the whole day, the boys asking me to show them my tattoo.

My nonna amd tias cooked our dinner.

It's currently about 11pm, the boys are upstairs in the fun room playing games.

The elders have retreated to sleep early because they have work.

They have all decided to stay for more days here, and I don't mind, I'm starting to like them.

I'm currently with Mattio in the garden on the swing.

My head is on his shoulder as he told me stories about their childhood.

"What about Ace, Alfonso, and zio Dante, have they always been like this?"., I asked hesitantly.

He took a moment a moment before he answered. "No.... they changed when tia Ellena and mamà Gabriella were killed".
He said in a sad tone, I rubbed his arm, to indicate that I'm listening.

"Especially Ace, he didn't take the news very well, he became closed and doesn't talk much anymore, zio Dante became more cruel, amd Alfonso is kinda better than his brother".

I nodded in understanding.

"Come on, we should get in", he said as he held my hand.

We went upstairs, mattio went to check on the boys.

I walked through the corridors towards my room, and glanced at the photos I saw when I first came here.

Photos in different sizes, some had only my brothers, while some had papà and a woman with him.

That's mamà obviously.

We had the same hair and eyes.

She was beautiful.

I sighed loudly, and as I made my way to my room, I saw papà's lights on.

I knocked on his door, and entered as I heard a small 'come in'

His room was really bigger than mine.

He was sitting on his king sized bed with a photo frame in his hands.

"Papà, are you okay?". I asked in a soft voice as I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Sì, neonata, I'm okay", he said not meeting my eyes.
(Baby girl)

I glance at the frame, it's a picture of mamà, and him.

He misses her.

I hugged his left arm, because that's all I can hold, he's like a giant.

"It's gonna be okay papà", I whispered softly.

He sighed heavily, and looked into my eyes. "I'm sorry", he says in barely a whisper.

"For what papà?".

"For not being there, I'm sorry for not finding you soon".

"But you did, didn't you, you found me".

He smiled at me, "you look so much like her", he says his voice breaking a little.

He pulls me to his chest, and kisses my temple.

"I'm so so proud of you bambina, and always will be, my strong piccolo fiore".
(Little flower).

____________♡___________

Are you excited for the vacation?.

Thank you.

And love youus♡.