fifty one | panic

"How'd you sleep?"

"Not too well."

"Any shoulder pain?"

"No. Pain-in-the-ass wife."

"No."

Jenny and Rob Harmon, pair of patients who happen to be happily married and expecting a baby soon. The wife accidentally ran over her husband in the driveway before fainting on the way to the hospital. An M.R.I. scan unfortunately reveals a growing aneurysm.

"I kept him up all night because I was afraid my aneurysm was gonna explode, and I was gonna die." She reveals with a deep breath.

"That's one way to give a father-to-be a heart attack." I unwrap the blood pressure cuff from the upper right arm. "Jen, I've got some not so good news."

Her smile falters for a moment. "And that's one way to give a pregnant woman a heart attack."

"Dr. Shepherd was called into an emergency early in the morning, so. . .your aneurysm will have to wait until later."

"Wh — later when?"

"Few hours. . .there's a chance he won't see you until tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" Rob speaks up. "I mean, she's already waited until tomor — today is tomorrow."

My hand rests against her shoulder. "I'll make sure he gets here sooner rather than later." A wave of worry washes over Jenny as her body becomes rigid. "You need to relax, Jen."

"How?"

"With a Jell-O cup?"

". . .I'll take two."

When the opportunity arises for synchronous ten-minute breaks, Meredith, Cristina, and I take it with no hesitation.

"Addison's brother probably isn't gonna make it. His cysts are inoperable."

"Worms in the brain — not how you want to go."

"Derek could have brought up Addison having a brother, but no. That kind of thing can just go unsaid in a relationship."

"He could have said something while playing the guitar." Meredith mentions to us casually.

"Speak English."

"What she said."

Her shoulder bumps against mine. "Your lover used to play the guitar. Even wrote and sang a song for Addison on their wedding day."

"Thank God he's isn't that cheesy anymore." I release a breath of relief.

"Owen's ex-fiancée is in the hospital." Cristina blurts out. "Mm-hmm. His ex-fiancée he never told me about."

"What's wrong with her?"

"Well she calls her dad daddy."

"That's absolutely disgusting, sickening. . .another word that ends with -ing."

Meredith laughs at our similar expressions of aversion. "No. I mean what's wrong with her? Why is she in the hospital?"

"Oh, she isn't. Daddy is."

"Stop saying that, Yang."

"What are you going to do, serenade me with your guitar?"

"Revolting."

Izzie confronts me outside of the Harmons' room with a crazed expression over her face and body. And with the consent of the couple, interns run in and out of the room performing small tasks to complete the next round to Izzie's game.