fifty two | gone

"How is she?"

"There's no change. Is this the M.C.A. doppler?"

"It is, yeah. Do you need coffee or —"

"I'm fine. I'm fine. Thanks."

The moment Derek's taken the films out of my hands, he's returned to Jenny's bedside. I flash a warm smile at Jenny and Rob before walking off.

"He's still beating himself up? Do you think he's still beating himself up?"

Lexie runs up to my side by the desk like a lost puppy, reaching over the counter to grab the patient file for me.

"Don't worry —"

"The head of neurosurgery hasn't left his patient's bedside for three days." She lifts up three fingers. "Do you really think he's fine?"

"He's fine, Lex." I reassure her with a confident glint.

"Leven, page Addison." Derek walks out of the room temporarily. "Tell her I need her to stay."

And he's gone the next moment.

"Are you fine?"

". . .I'll get back to you."

Due to her mini-strokes and aphasia, we have to take her back into surgery and perform an EC-IC bypass. All the while, Addison monitors her and the baby.

"Make sure he planes the patio. . .plates the. . ."

"We'll get him piano lessons, yes."

"Only puddle shell. . .uh. . .only public —"

"Public school. So he doesn't become a snob, I know. But I don't have to, because you're gonna be there to make sure I don't turn him into a jerk." Rob walks his wife to the doors of the O.R. wing.

"We're here." Derek informs them quietly.

"I love just. . ."

"I know. You love me. And I love you. I'll see you in a few." His voice breaks.

They share a loving kiss before separating. . .until they see each other again after the surgery.

"Dr. Shepherd, her, um, blood pressure's slightly higher from yester." I notify him of the hopefully harmless change.

"We can't wait."

"Of course, I know, but —"

"You want me to be aware. I understand."

His hand reaches to cup my cheek, not caring that we're standing in front of Addison, Alex, and our patient.

"You're a good doctor, and I'm a good doctor. . .let's be good together."

The beginning of the surgery goes well, me and Derek working with each other while Addison keeps watch from the side.

"The baby's having spontaneous decels." Alex relays at the sound of the erratic beeps from the monitor.

"Mom's hypotensive." Addison adds.

I look over at the neurosurgeon. "Derek, I don't think they can handle any more of this."

"The M.C.A. is bleeding a bit. It shouldn't be contributing." He disregards quickly. "Sutures, please."

"BP's falling, Derek." I notice the number drastically dropping. "We need to get the baby out."

"I'm almost done, Leven. Just wait." He mutters under his breath.

"It's not her that can't wait." Addison supports my thought process.