chapter 31

I get to the living room with Ryujin still following me. She's not saying anything, she's just staying close to me and I know what she's doing. She's waiting until I'm ready to talk. She doesn't try to calm me down. She's letting me express whatever I'm feeling then she will just be there when I'm ready.

"Can someone tell me what's happening? Who is that girl?" My mom points at Ryujin.

"Mom, it's rude to point" my sister says.

"I'm Ryujin. I'm sorry for just now introducing myself. I'm Yeji's friend" she bows to my mom.

"What are you doing here at this time of night, Ryujin?" My mom gives her a scornful look.

"I was worried about Yeji. I called her and she didn't answer then Karina said I should come here because Yeji and Dana were fighting" she says to my mom politely.

"What's that got to do with you?" My mom asks, clearly unhappy.

"Mom, will you please stop? Ryujin literally just saved me from being hit by Dana. Him and I broke up. I can't do it anymore. Karina says I can stay with her in the meantime" I say.

"I knew you were having problems but I didn't think it was that bad, Yeji. Why didn't you tell me?" My mom now sounding concern for me, forgetting about Ryujin.

"I tried mom. I tried so hard to make it work with him. I didn't realize how much he broke me until Ryujin showed up in my life. She encourages me, she tries to help me see myself in a positive light. She's trying to help me fix everything I let Dana destroy about myself. Dana says bad things about me then tells me he loves me so I would feel lucky that I have him. How fucked up is that?" I cry.

"Maybe there's still a chance. You can go to couples therapy. You have another kid coming, Yeji. It's not going to be easy by yourself" she says and I look at her with pain in my eyes. It seemed like my mom didn't listen to how I suffered being with Dana.

"Mom, who says she's gonna be by herself? I'll help her" my sister say.

"I'll help too" Ryujin suddenly say making my mom glare at her.

"And why would you help her?" My mom says while still glaring.

I see Ryujin gulp which I think is cute but now is not the time to think of such things.

Ryujin looks at me and it seems like she's asking for permission for something so I just nod at her.

"Because I love your daughter" she says causing me to choke on air.

"What?!" My mom yells, "Are you the reason why their relationship didn't work!?" My mom approaches Ryujin and slaps her.

"Mom!" Karina and I both say.

"Mom! Are you not listening to anything I'm saying! I'm not happy with Dana. Dana hurts me! Dana belittles me! Dana never cared for Eva or me! Dana never respected you or our family! Why do you want me to work it out with him!?" I finally snap.

"I was unhappy way before Ryujin came along but I accepted that was my fate so I put up with it. Ryujin helped me see that I shouldn't be putting up with it. Ryujin never pushed me to be with her! She respected every decision I made or will make. She's here because of me. Because she cares about me. Because she was worried about me. I've felt more loved by Ryujin in the short amount of time I've known her than the years I've been with Dana. You just hurt the person that made me feel that it's still possible for me to be happy" I cry harder now.

"But she's a girl, Yeji and you're a girl" my mom starts crying now.

"I know, mom. I struggled with it too but I realized I didn't want a life without Ryujin in it. I love her too, mom. Get to know her and you'll see why I fell in love with her. She already cares about Eva and she knows about the baby" I say.

"I love your daughter" Ryujin kneels down in front of my mom, "I will help her with anything she needs. I'm willing to support her, Eva and the baby. Just because I'm a girl it doesn't mean I can't provide for your daughter. It's okay if you don't trust me or accept me right now but I will prove to you that I can be what Yeji needs" she says to my mom.

I look at my sister to see her smiling and I tilt my head to the side, confused as to why she's smiling. She moves next to me, "I like her way more than Dana" She whispers to me.

"Why though? You could be with someone who doesn't have kids and it will be easier for you. I'm afraid you'll get my daughter's hopes up then leave her. She will have two kids, you're still young. You haven't lived your crazy years yet" my mom is calmly talking now.

"Not everyone needs to live some crazy years to experience life. Before I met Yeji, I felt like I was just going through the motion of life. I was just surviving so I can take care of my nephew. I was so envious of my sister for having a family. I don't have the urge to go crazy and party. I dream about having my own family someday, family vacations, family dinners, family game night. Those are the things I strive for. I know it's crazy talking about this when Yeji and I aren't officially together yet but my intentions with your daughter is long term" she says, shocking me. I didn't realize she thought about our future already.

We hear Dana cursing while going down the stairs, "Don't call me if that bitch leaves you" he says to me.

"Bye Dana" I say before he finally leaves.

"I'll give you a chance. Just don't hurt my daughter like that asshole did" my mom surprises me.

"Thank you ma'am. I will take care of your daughter. I should probably go so all of you can rest" Ryujin stands up.

"Please don't" I say while looking down.

"You don't want me to leave?" Ryujin approaches me.

"Can you sleep with me? I don't want to be alone tonight after everything that happened" I say, feeling shy. I didn't expect Ryujin and I to share a bed this quick but I just don't want her to leave.

I see her look at my mom, probably asking if it's okay and my mom just smiles at her.

"Okay, I'll stay" she smiles at me.

"Can you take care of Eva tonight" I ask my mom.

"Of course" she say then goes to check on Eva.

I pull Ryujin upstairs into my bedroom. I go to my drawers and hand her pajamas she can wear.

She crawls in bed right away and I feel myself blush.

"Why are you blushing? Were not gonna do anything" she chuckles.

I roll my eyes and climb into my bed. She lays on her back and I put my head on her chest while I wrap my arm on her stomach and place my leg on top of her.

She then wraps one arm around me and her other hand rubs my arm on her stomach, "Comfy?" She asks me.

I hum as a response. I feel myself slowly dozing off. I can't believe I'm sleeping next to Ryujin and I can't believe how safe and calm I feel with her.