Chapter 16 - Broken Hope

SHIN & JUNE'S POV

Shin: "Miss Eriksen, that was too far."

June: "Apologies, warden. But in telling her that the boy is dead, I was able to crush her hope. Isn't that what we want?"

Shin: "I suppose. It's true we don't want her to have the confidence to try anything again. But that's not all I'm talking about. Do you understand what 'information over bruises and bloodshed' means?"

June: "Yes, sir."

Shin: "Considering the current physical state of number 12, I don't think you do. The term means, we want the interrogee to talk. And that is not always solved by blood and violence! If necessary, we threaten to take their rights, not their lives!"

June: "I'm sorry, sir. She just pissed me off."

Shin: "Work on that short temper of yours, Miss Eriksen, before you do something you regret. If it weren't for the current situation, I would suspend you in order for you to do so."

June: "..."

Shin: "But as building 11's supervisor, I need you here."

June: "I won't let you down, sir."

Shin: "Be sure you don't."

ALISON'S POV

I hadn't moved from the spot on the floor where I was thrown. My eyes hurt from crying. But I couldn't stop.

Alison: 'Everything hurts... my body... my heart... what am I going to do?'

My last sliver of hope was gone. It took the whole day for my tears to finally dry, but that was mainly because I didn't think my body could produce anymore. I sat up and looked myself over. I had multiple bruises, what felt like a cracked rib or two, and the cut on my arm was bad.

Alison: "This is still bleeding..."

My voice was hoarse.

Alison: "This is bullshit..."

I just continued lying face down on the ground, wishing for this nightmare to end. Later that night, as I heard my cell door open, I curled up and guarded my head.

Alison: "NO MORE! Please just go away!"

Olivia: "Ali, it's me."

I turned my head to see Olivia kneeling on the ground next to the door.

Alison: "Liv...?"

I stumbled over to her before collapsing in her arms, sobbing into her.

Olivia: "Oh sweetheart... what did they do to you?"

Alison: "It was awful, Liv! We tried to run away! But then Kiji got mad and so he helped me hide instead! Honey came down to keep me safe, but they found me, Liv! They- they... they found me! He tried to protect me, but in the end... in the end they...... he's dead, Liv... THAT SADISTIC WHORE KILLED HIM!!"

She hugged me close, gently stroking my head.

Olivia: "I'm so sorry, Ali... I'm so sorry... Here, let me fix you up."

She took her top off and gently wiped my face, then wrapped it tight around the deep cut on my arm.

Olivia: "That should help... *sigh* I wish I could do more."