Chapter 12 - reunited

- Third POV -

"This staff will make an excellent gift for my father. I suppose you wouldn't know of fathers, being raised by monks" Says Zuko while he's inspecting Aang's staff.

"Take the Avatar to the prison hold, and take this to my quarters" Zuko hands the staff over to Iroh. Iroh takes the staff and looks at it for a moment while Zuko walks away.

"Hey, you mind taking this to his quarters for me?" Asks Iroh casually, the firebender accepts the staff and Iroh walks away. Aang is pushed forward by two of the soldiers. He grunts as they roughly shove him ahead. Aang descends the staircase, the outside world disappearing from view. He tries to keep an eye on his staff for as long as possible. He walks down a corridor, one soldier before him, one following after him.

"So, I guess you've never fought an airbender before. I bet I could take you both with my hands tied behind my back" Says Aang slyly.

"Silence" Answers one of the firebenders unamused. The party stops and Aang observes the soldier in front of him preparing to unlock a door. As the guard in front of him begins to unlock the cell, Aang inhales deeply and unleashes a powerful breath, stunning both of them. The firebender before him slams into the door subsequently knocked out from the impact. Aang is sent several feet back, slamming into the guard behind him. They both fly back even further, where they crash into the stairs. The soldier behind Aang is also knocked out by the impact, while Aang propels himself onto the deck and kicks open a door using airbending. He quickly runs down the hallway, panting heavily. He tosses a frightened look over his shoulder, afraid that he is being followed. A soldier emerges from the lower deck and addresses him.

"The Avatar has escaped!" Shouts the soldier.

❀❀❀

Katara, Mizuki and Sokka sit atop Appa, who's swimming in the water. Appa growls, Katara is sitting on top of Appa's head, while Sokka and Mizuki are resting in the saddle.

"Go. Fly. Soar" Says Sokka unamused, Mizuki sighs.

"Please, Appa. We need your help. Aang needs your help" Pleads Katara, Appa growls once again.

"Up. Ascend. Elevate" Continues Sokka.

"Sokka doesn't believe you can fly, but I do, Appa. Come on, don't you want to save Aang?" Says Katara while patting Appa who grunts back.

"What was it that kid said? Yee-haw?" Asks Sokka, Mizuki thinks for a second.

"I think Aang said something like, yip-yip" Sokka startles at the sudden movement that Mizuki's comment brought with it as it seemingly prompts Appa. Mizuki quickly grabs onto Sokka. Appa bobs his head in the water as he grunts and beats the water with his tail. After what appears to be a brief running start, he takes flight and soars through the air.

"You did it, Mizuki!" Exclaims Katara, Mizuki grins broadly at her and lets go of Sokka.

"He's flying! He's flying! Guys, he's -" Yells Sokka while leaning over the rim of the saddle. Katara and Mizuki smirk at Sokka. Seeing this, Sokka tries to play it cool.

"I mean, big deal. He's flying" Says Sokka sheepishly, Mizuki giggles at him.

❀❀❀

Aang is frantically running through the corridors. He stops in his tracks and yells when he encounters three soldiers standing with swords drawn in the middle of the corridor.

"You haven't seen my staff around, have you?" He asks. The three men prepare to attack him, but before they can make a move, Aang sprints across the hallway at the speed of wind, along the floor and the walls, spiraling in circular patterns past the soldiers, through their legs. Aang manages to escape, leaving the soldiers looking dumbfounded.