Chapter 13 - prickle snake

- Third POV -

 Zuko's bending in rage on the deck of the ship.

"Good news for the Fire Lord. The Fire Nation's greatest threat is just a little kid" Says Iroh calmly. Zuko lifts his head and rises while his uncle is speaking.

"That 'kid', uncle, just did this" Zuko points at the damaged ship, the whole front covered in ice and snow, holding back his rage.

"I won't underestimate him again" He continues.

"Dig the ship out and follow them!" Demands Zuko, he turns around and sees three Fire Nation soldiers trying to help the others climb onto the ship. How did that happen? Did the Avatar throw them all overboard?

"As soon as you're done with that" Says Zuko, slightly embarrassed.

❀❀❀

- Mizuki's POV -

Appa soars lazily in the sky while the sun is beginning to set. Aang is perched on the rim of the saddle, while Sokka, Katara and I sit at the back of it.

"How did you do that?! With the water? It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!" Says Katara in a bewilderd tone. She must be talking about the avatar state, it's quite impressive. But I don't think Aang was conscious once he entered the avatar state. He'll have to learn how to master it eventually.

"I don't know. I just sort of...did it" Replies Aang quietly, slightly downcast, sitting on the edge of the saddle. Something's not right, Aang seems upset...

"Why didn't you tell us you were the Avatar?" Asks Katara in a curious but serious tone.

"Because...I never wanted to be" Aang turns away slightly saddened. I feel bad for him, it must be a huge responsibility. Just like mine, I think I understands what he means. I always wanted to live a normal life, go to school and make friends, but I never had the chance.

"But Aang, the world's been waiting for the Avatar to return and finally put an end to this war" States Katara.

"And how am I going to do that?" Asks Aang downcast.

"According to legend, you need to first master water, then earth, then fire, right?" I nodded at Katara's comment.

"That's what the monks told me" Says Aang while he looks up at Katara.

"Mizuki, you'll teach us how to waterbend. Right?" Beamed Katara.

"Of course, but wouldn't you like to go find an actual master at the North Pole? It'll be fun, besides we'll get to learn about the Northen Water Tribe traditions and meet new people there!" I replied, Katara nodded at my response.

"That sounds awesome!" Aang starts to smile brightly. Katara turns around to face her brother.

"And Sokka, I'm sure you'll get to knock some firebender heads on the way" She says, I shiver at the thought of firebenders. I still haven't gotten over my fear of fire, ever since I lost my parents I've been extremely scared of fire.

"I'd like that. I'd really like that" Responds Sokka content.

"Then we're in this together!" Said Katara optimistically. Aang pulls out a rolled up scroll.

"All right, but before I learn waterbending, we have some serious business to attend to. Here, here and here" He uses airbending to situate himself onto the saddle and unrolls the scroll, revealing a map, he points to three locations, two in the Earth Kingdom, one in Air Nomad territory. I lean over to Aang and take a look at the map, Katara does the same.

"What's there?" Asks Katara while she points to one of the locations. Aang points to the location in Earth Kingdom.

"Here, we'll ride the hopping llamas" Then he points to the location in Air Nomad territory.

"Then waaay over here, we'll surf on the backs of giant koi fish" Katara and Sokka stare at him in wonder. Now that I think of it, I think I've seen those fishes while traveling. I never thought of surfing on their backs though, it sounds fun.

"Then back over here, we'll ride the hog monkeys" The siblings glance at each other.

"They don't like people riding them, but that's what makes it fun!" Beams Aang. He smiles enthusiastically, his eyes widened with excitement. I can't help but smile at him. Appa's flying peacefully in the sky as sunbeams break through the clouds behind him. The group of teenagers slowly falls asleep.

❀❀❀

- Third POV -

There's a beautiful sunrise that just peeks above the cliffs. The beams of the morning sun reflect on the water, bathing the whole scene in yellow light. The group had made a camp on the shore. Appa's chewing on some grass while the smoke of the nearby campfire rises to the sky. Sokka is lying in a blue sleeping bag next to the fire. Aang, Mizuki and Katara are atop of Appa. Aang sits on the bison's head and is checking the knots that tie the reins to Appa's horns. Katara is sitting on the saddle, fiddling with their luggage. Mizuki had just woken up and is trying to get some extra rest.

"Wait 'til you see it, Katara! The Air Temple is one of the most beautiful places in the world!" Beams Aang, Mizuki felt bad for the boy. She had visited the Air Temple before, and knew that it didn't look the same as it used to do.

"Aang, I know you're excited, but it's been a hundred years since you've been home" Answers Katara. Mizuki got up and slid down Appa's tail.

"That's why I'm so excited!" Replied Aang, then he turned around to see that Mizuki had woken up.

"Good morning Mizuki!" Exclaimed Aang, Mizuki shot him a smile.

"Good morning!" She happily replied, Katara smiled at her warmly.

"It's just that a lot can change in all that time" Continued Katara.

"I know, but I need to see it for myself" Says Aang before he jumps off Appa, landing softly due to his airbending. Mizuki and Katara look at each other concerned. Then Katara notices Mizuki's long, messy hair.

"You want me to braid your hair?" She asks, Mizuki happily nods at Katara's request. Katara starts braiding Mizuki's hair meanwhile Aang walks over to a snoring Sokka, who is lying in his sleeping bag. He looks down at Sokka, who is asleep.

"Wake up, Sokka! Air Temple, here we come!" Sokka awakens, making groggy noises.

"Uggh! Sleep now. Temple later" Sokka turns around, showing his back to Aang and falls back asleep, snoring as soon as his eyes close. Aang's eyes blink in surprise. He looks discontent with Sokka's attitude, but he quickly smiles mischievously and grabs a small, thin stick. Mizuki looks curiously at Aang, who's holding a stick.

"Sokka! Wake up! There's a prickle snake in your sleeping bag!" Shouts Aang while he moves the stick up and down the sleeping bag, only touching Sokka with the tip of it. Mizuki starts to laugh at Aang's attempt to wake Sokka up.

"Ahh! Get it off! Get it off!" Screams Sokka, he quickly rises and hops around, still inside of the sleeping bag. After two hops, Sokka slams flat to the ground. Katara giggles as Sokka falls over. Mizuki tries to cover her mouth while laughing. Sokka looks annoyed at Aang.

"Great! You're awake! Let's go!" Exclaims Aang.

To be continued

Word count: 1204