Evicted (O)

Three weeks. You'd only lived in this Encanto for three weeks. 

"But... what about abuela? What about my memories with her? We grew up here."

"Oh." Your father blinked awkwardly, hiding his hands in his pockets. "That wasn't your abuela. We just needed somewhere to stay, so I found an old lady who lived alone. Changed everyone's memories a little. She was a nice, neat way to fit into this Encanto's story."

"What?" Your mouth gaped open. Your emotions felt jumbled, like your abuelas- your fake abuela's- knitting. You couldn't pick apart the threads of pain, confusion, shock, and betrayal. "But she-" You choked out, "But I loved her! It felt real!"

"I'm sorry you're dealing with this, (y/n)." Your father apologized, resting a heavy hand on your shoulder. "I was going to extract her memory from you, but recently you've been waking up so early. I'd do it now, but my gift only works when you're asleep. It's really a nuisance." He winced, as if remembering, too late, about Dolores.

You could identify this emotion, bright as the glint of the sun. Rage. "You think you have the right to snip my memory apart with your magical little scissors?" You incredulously glowered. "You shouldn't have touched my thoughts in the first place! Now you want to mold me with your gift like I'm some clay pot? No!" You fled to the door. "I'm leaving! My mind isn't safe here!"

"Wait," Your father begged. "I was protecting-"

You didn't wait. You stormed outside, tumbling like a hurricane into the blinding sunlight.

As promised, Camilo had lingered a few buildings away. He startled when you emerged onto the street. Your father ripped the door open and hounded after you.

"(Y/n), get inside," Your father demanded, his eyes narrowed. Camilo stiffened, shapeshifting to tack a few intimidating inches to his height.

"Back off." Camilo dangerously warned, his voice low. He cloaked your shoulder with a defensive arm, staring down your father.  Camilo's eyes shot silent threats, as if daring him to get closer.

Your father scoffed, but uneasily backed away. He pleadingly fixed his gaze on you before disappearing into the house. "(Y/n), when you come back, I'll be waiting. There's so much more you need to know."

Camilo exhaled, shrinking back to his normal height. He silently lead you to the safety of the market crowd, sneaking concerned glances. 

"What happened in there?"

"My father has a gift; he can change memories. My abuela isn't my abuela," You wobbly explained. "And I have nowhere to stay."

"Don't worry," Camilo assured you. "You can always stay at casita."

"But your family-"

"No, no, don't stress about it," Camilo interrupted, lightly tapping a finger to your lips. "My parents are gonna love you. Dolores will back you up. Trust me, everything will be okay."

"Thanks, Camilo," you tried to smile. Maybe he was right. Maybe everything would be alright. You could almost believe the promise infused into his hazel eyes. 

And then Antonio crashed into your legs, sweating and breathing heavily. "Camilo," he wailed.

"Hey, buddy," Camilo crouched down and tousled his little brother's hair. "Everything okay?"

Antonio feverishly shook his head. "It's Luisa. She's gone."