Epilogue

Link opened his eyes, as the light of some overhead lanterns greeted his vision. Looking around, he realized that he was back in the house he owned in Hateno Village. That's when he remembered.

After Ganon's demise, he had brought Zelda all the way to his home, giving her his bed to let her sleep some more. Once that had been done, Link decided to get some rest himself, falling asleep on...

Taima was fast asleep, her body curled up on the wooden floor. Her master raised his head off of her warm fur, as he got up to his feet. Stretching a little, he smiled. That was the best sleep he'd had in a while, finally free from nightmares and visions that had plagued his slumber for so long.

Quietly, he creeped up the stairs. Checking his bed, he was put at ease when he saw Zelda still fast asleep. Sighing in assurance, he went back downstairs, before stealthily exiting the house as he went outside.

Feeling the cool breeze of the night on his skin, Link sat down on the grass as he looked around. The lights in Hateno Village had almost all gone out now, most of the villagers having gone to bed at that hour. The young Hylian sighed in relief, knowing that they, along with the rest of Hyrule, could sleep with ease without the Calamity looming over their heads like an executioner's ax.

Link suddenly heard the door to his house suddenly creak open. Turning around, he saw Zelda tiptoe out, cautiously closing the door behind her. She'd just woken up a few moments ago and had gone to see where her appointed knight had left for.

"Um... Is it alright that I join you?" she asked, her arms folded, as she shivered slightly from the cool night's breeze.

"Oh, of course." Link answered, motioning for her to come over. Zelda sat beside him, as they looked out over the surrounding areas.

"It's so peaceful..." she said "It's hard for me to remember when it last was as calm as this."

"It wouldn't have been so without you." Link replied.

After he had said that, the two quickly became silent, unsure of what to say to one another. Zelda broke the silence first, as she asked hesitantly:

"Link... What do you want to do now?"

"Hmm?"

"Your quest is over, Ganon has been vanquished, your duty has been fulfilled... Your life no longer needs to be bound to it. You are free, Link."

"But what about you?" the knight asked, "What do you plan on doing?"

"Well... Although Ganon is gone, there is still so much for me to do, and so many painful memories to bear. But I believe, in all of my heart, if I can work hard enough, if I can get all of Hyrule to work together... we can restore it to its former glory. Perhaps even beyond. But it must start with me. Eventhough my power has dwindled over the past 100 years, I am ready to work for that future."

She turned to Link.

"But you shouldn't have to carry that burden anymore, Link. You've done your duty. You can finally choose your own path, your own future." she told him.

Her appointed knight remained silent. Then, taking her hand into his, he suddenly stated firmly:

"Not if it means you won't be part of it."

"H-huh?" Zelda's face went slightly red upon hearing those words. She looked into his eyes, shock and confusion filling her head.

"When I was with you 100 years ago, for the first time in years... I-i was happy. I wasn't afraid of showing myself around you. You made me feel whole again, Zelda."

"Link..."

"I know I wasn't able to help you 100 years ago. But I promise I'll be there for you now, in both good times and bad. I want to be there to see you smile, and to comfort you when you're sad. Please... let me stay with you."

Zelda turned away, conflicted. After all he had done for her, all he had sacrificed... could she accept this from him too? But then, she realized. She needed him, just as much as he needed her. When the time came, they'd always been there for one another, just as they had been before. Could she really go on without him, now that they had just reunited?

"Alright." she said, smiling as she turned to him. "Let's rebuild Hyrule together."

Link smiled back and nodded. As he did so, the wind began to rise, as it began to blow some of the glowing petals of silent princesses away, filling the night air with their light.

The two stared each other in the eyes. Though neither of them could find the words to say it, they both knew that they shared the same feeling with one another. Leaning in, the two closed their eyes as their lips met, their hearts taking flight as they embraced. All their pains, their grief, it was all forgotten. And in their place was a new feeling, one that had taken them more than 100 years to fully come to understand and accept: love.

THE END

As the night went on, little did Link and Zelda know they were being watched from a higher plane.

"You did well teaching him, my child. You were right when you said to me he needed you the most." the first spirit said.

"I'm just happy that it is finally finished. He and Zelda went through so much, and I believe they are finally entitled to some happiness." the Hero of Twilight replied.

"... It's not over, you know. The curse, it remains. They do not know what secrets Hyrule has kept both deep below and far above. There is much, much worse than what he has faced."

Link's mentor turned to the spirit, determined.

"Then I'll be there to help if he ever needs me."

The other spirit remained silent at that statement, before chuckling.

"Who knows. He might not at all."

The Hero of Twilight looked down at Link and Zelda, one last time.

"Amen to that." he said, smiling knowing that finally, he'd fulfilled his mission, and that his descendant had learned how to find happiness once more. Perhaps, this time, it could finally last...

(I made it... I finished the story. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it's over. I just never thought I would make it to the end. It was quite the ride, starting this book more than a year ago. I hope that you enjoyed reading this fanfic as much as I did writing it. I'm excited to see how well this fanfic will hold up once the sequel to Breath of the Wild comes up. Who knows, maybe this fanfic will get a sequel as well. But for now, it's time I say this one last time:

Hope you enjoyed this fanfic, and have a wonderful day, till we meet again!)

(A/N: The sequel is finally here! I hope you'll all enjoy it: https://www.wattpad.com/story/352260441-totk-the-lonely-hero )